XJ help PLEASE

• I recently put a 4.5" rough country lift on my xj. This question is not to ask should I get SYE, or why. Nothing like that. I know that's important and it's next on the list (even though I'm not noticing vibration)

To hold me over until that happens I've installed the 1" t case drop that came with kit

Here's my problem... When decelerating there's a pretty bad grinding noise coming from what I'm pretty sure is the t case. It's almost as if the t case is somewhere in limbo between 2 hi and 4 hi. The grinding goes away when I shift to 4 but then it's making a new noise all on it's own.
    I have done my best to adjust linkage on t case I've got it as far as I can get it. Now sure what else to do. My car went out of commission while I was in the middle of this lift or I wouldn't be so worried. Any help would be appreciated

• The noise is the driveshaft. U can change the joints and it will probably go away for a while. Sometimes when u change the operational angle with a lift the joint doesnt like the new position and needs to be changed.

Fyi, generally the grawl during decel is caused from the pinion angle being too high. Did the kit come with shims for the axle?

• You're right. Further investigated last night and it's u joints. New ones are sitting in the passenger seat hopefully I'll get them in tonight and it fixes temporarily. I went into the project planning on sye but I'm hoping the joints will hold me over til then
    No shims with the kit

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!