Engine Bogging

• Need some advice on what direction to go next. Coming of the trails at RC saturday my jeep was not ........happy. I had originally assumed that somthing got wet but there may be more to it. The idle was surging and sucking air like crazy. A new map sensor fixed that issue. Im now having a bogging issue. The jeep starts good, then anywhere from 50 ft to a mile down the road it will bog badly as if its misfiring, its backfiring a little to so Im assuming this is not a fuel shortage problem. That will last about 5 seconds or so, maybe 10 if im going slow. After that it runs great. I replaced the cps last night since my old one was taped together, it smoothed out the idle a little bit more but no change on the bogging. It also started burning oil a little over a week ago but it looked worse over the weekend. Ive been told that it could be leaking oil into a plug enough to misfire while its warming up but I havent pulled the plugs yet to see what they look like. Its also not throwing any codes.

• stop it from burning/leaking oil.

Actually, in all honesty, replace the other two sensors on the intake. If they are original and you have over 100k mi, think of it as preventative maintenance. I had a very similar - but not exact - sounding issue and it ended up being a bad TPS.

• I think we should have stayed out of that mud hole on 1a at the end of the day. My Jeep hesitated twice leaving RC in the morning, drove the rest of the way home fine and now won't start.

Ill second that! :mrgreen: I dident even realize you hit that one, that sucker was deep.
    As for sensors, the tps is relatively new but the idle control one is original. The idle is good now though. Im gonna check the plugs tonight and see if that tells me anything.

• Pull the cap and rotor and make sure they are dry. My old Xj would sputter and run like crap in the rain. Everything would get wet and it would sputter and miss. I pulled all plugs, wires, etc cleaned the ends and put dielectric grease on them. I still wouldn't hesitate to throw a fuel pressure guage on the rail also just for good measure.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Put a bottle of dry gas in the tank and change your fuel filter. You may have sucked water into the tank from that mud hole.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Pull the cap and rotor and make sure they are dry. My old Xj would sputter and run like crap in the rain. Everything would get wet and it would sputter and miss. I pulled all plugs, wires, etc cleaned the ends and put dielectric grease on them. I still wouldn't hesitate to throw a fuel pressure guage on the rail also just for good measure.

Ill try that tonight

Check your injectors. Just saying :razz: :shrug:

Im gonna replace them when I do the valve rings, I was reading about an upgrade to use 90's dodge neon injectors, aparently they have a better spray and help the engine run smoother. Im probably looking to do a minor rebuild with new gaskets and bearings sometime in the next month or two.

Put a bottle of dry gas in the tank and change your fuel filter. You may have sucked water into the tank from that mud hole.

Fuel filter on a tj is built into the fuel pump inside the tank so no dice there. Im already on a different tank of gas so I imagine that issue would have gone away with the last tank of gas if it was the problem.

• stop it from burning/leaking oil.

Actually, in all honesty, replace the other two sensors on the intake. If they are original and you have over 100k mi, think of it as preventative maintenance. I had a very similar - but not exact - sounding issue and it ended up being a bad TPS.

I checked the plugs and the distributor cap/rotor last night. Everything looked good and the plugs were clean. I expected them to be fouled and look like they were burning oil but they did not. Im going to replace the tps tonight since its under warrenty and clean or replace the iac and see if that gets me anywhere.

• Sounds like it might be the heater circuit for the o2 sensor as well. O2 sensors don't work until they heat up. Sounds like the computer is switching to closed loop but the o2 sensor isn't ready to do the job. Wait a few seconds later and every thing is good to go. My xj did this for a while, with no code. I would check the sensor connections down there.

• That crossed my mind. Ive been watching the engine temps when it gets funky and it seems to be around 150 when it acts up. What temp does it switch to the o2 sensor? I checked the connections last night and they were nice and tight. Im wondering if the sensor could be on its way out from the connector going under water though?

• Swapped the tps and cleaned the iac. also put some injector cleaner in along with some no smoke stuff that's supposed to stop oil from getting around the rings. No change with the bogging. I did however finally let it sit and bog at idle and it's the same surge I was getting at the park and it's also sucking air like crazy while it does it. Then it will smooth back out and stop sucking air. Does this sound like o2 sensor? I'm thinking about unplugging them one at a time and letting it run to see if it does this while in open loop. Would I be able to rule one out that way if it's the culprit or do they work as a pair? Still not getting any codes wich is making this difficult.
    Update- I unplugged the upstream o2 sensor and it ran perfect this morning. Im assuming thats the culprit.

• Rock auto has good prices in them.... There are a bunch of horror stories about the Bosch sensors so I would stick to NTK

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Napa is stocking the NTK's now. They also have a 20 percent off anything that fits in a 5 gall bucket this week. I picked up the o2 sensor and might get some brake parts.
    With the new sensor in the jeep runs good again. Why does it always take me a week to figure it out and 10 minutes to fix it :doh: The smoke from the exhaust also seems to have gone away so maybe that additive did the trick. Probably just temporary though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!