Can anyone here help with SEO?

• ... for a bookbinding and book restoration business. www.stoneybrookstudio.com

Her studio is the first hit on a Google search for the name specifically. That is of no help whatsoever in acquiring potential new clients, or in having them find her. The type of client she works for will be looking to have an old book - like a family heirloom or bible - restored, or someone who wants to have their manuscript or doctoral thesis turned into something really impressive looking with a leather-bound, goldstamped hardcover.

One would expect that someone looking to have this kind of thing done would use words like "bookbinding" "book restoration" "restoring old books" "leather book repair". Stoney Brook Studio comes up on the 7th page of search engine results for such keywords, and we all know that no one ever looks past the 1st or 2nd page.

Does anyone here do SEO? Any help would be appreciated.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I haven't done much lately... but at a first glance, there are a few things to change. First, move all of the pages to the home folder. Right now, when you load the website with the domain name, it redirects to a subfolder with a non-standard page address (Welcome.html vs index.html). Both things will hurt the ranking, but especially the automatic redirect.

While not the standard anymore, there are no meta tags with description and keywords. They should be short and appropriate to the site.

There are also some association issues, I'd try to write up a 2-3 sentence paragraph on the site that included the name of the company, where they're located (town and county, not full address) and the services they provide. That way the name is associated with a location and a service.

Speaking of paragraphs, the software they used is horrible for SEO. Each sentence is coded as a new paragraph, including the "services offered" section. That'll really hurt things. With that in mind, I'd suggest them finding a college kid that's in a webdesign program to redo the site. It really needs a full coding update to fix the behind the scenes stuff.

Once the site is search engine friendly, you can submit it manually to the major search engines to be re-indexed to hopefully get a better ranking. If anybody from the studio is active on related message boards, a link to the site in their forum signature will help the ranking results. But, the forum content needs to be related, or it might actually hurt the results.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Jerry hit on some very good points. Organic search results are tough because Google is continuously tweaking the algorithms.

Some other things that people don't think about are making sure the site is mobile friendly. Google will hit you hard if it's not.

Also, and this may sound useless, but create a Google + page and claim it properly. Also put a link to your Google plus page on your home page. Google will verify that you did so and will suddenly like your page a lot more.

Actively changing content on the site helps too.

Your organic traffic can be helped by a pay per click program. I'd look into putting a little money into an adwords campaign or using someone like Reach Local to handle it for you.

• Above are all good suggestions. Another thing that helps is having "link backs" elsewhere. Having a Google+ page and others (Facebook, Twitter, etc) which include links to the site with each post increases clicks to the site from other sources. One of the things that helps the search engines determine it is worthwhile to up the ranking is people clicking to the site from other sources. I run a website for a non-profit service org I belong to and also contacted many other websites with a connection to our cause and requested they add a link to our site in their "Links" or "friends" pages with a reciprocal link to theirs. I can tell where traffic is coming from and the extra clicks from different sources has helped with people finding us in Google.

• I can tell where traffic is coming from and the extra clicks from different sources has helped with people finding us in Google.

Yes. :up: :up: It is very important to keep an eye on Google Analytics to see where traffic is coming from. This is even more important when you pay for advertising online so you don't waste money on unproductive ad campaigns.

• Give my friend Dave a call. He has done sites for clients of mine as well as other people. He has created sites ranging from inventory to banking to body building to personal growth coach and a Baja race site that kept track of the cars as they raced. Great guy

Dave Arnold
    XclusiveSites.com
    302-242-2758
    Dave@XclusiveSites.com

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!