Rustoleum truck bed coating

• At some point I'll have my TJ's tub professionally sprayed with a bed liner of some sort. Until then....
    I picked up a can of Rustoleum truck bed coating for less than $8 at Walmart. I'd like to carefully tape off the top of the tub -- where the hard top sits -- and spray it. I've got plenty of scrapes and blemishes there, some from the hard top and some from people jumping in and out of the rear seat. I'm counting on it being at least a little tougher than regular spray paint. The coating is black, by the way, and my TJ is dark blue, so I'll have a thin black band visible around the tub (except, of course, the door openings).

So, am I going to regret this? Is there a better idea for a low budget type of DIY spray for this limited purpose? Thanks!

(p.s. Not my original intent with this post, but does any DEJA member do proper spray-on bed liners for Jeep tubs? If so, please let me know the details...where located, cost, etc.)

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• When you eventually have it done isn't it going to cost even more because they are going to have to clean off the cheap crap? I'm in pretty much the same boat... I want to do it right but don't want to fork out the cahola

• Hmmm. I see the potential for a "group discount" here!

Yes, I did think of that possibility -- having to remove the old stuff. But, I suspect it will be easy to do, and there won't be much of it.

• I did my tub in my last jeep with herculiner roll on and was impressed with it. Cost for kit was 100.00. Two coats and done. Prep took the longest time. Just my 2 cents.

• I did my tub in my last jeep with herculiner roll on and was impressed with it. Cost for kit was 100.00. Two coats and done. Prep took the longest time. Just my 2 cents.

Did you use it all? Im trying to line my flares with something, and heard good things about the herculiner stuff, but don't wanna buy a whole gallon and waste half of it ya know?

• Used half and also did the rocker area on old jeep.
    If you go the roll on route do yourself a favor and get a mixer that attaches to a drill from harbor freight, wear long sleeves as you will bump into it. Stuff is hard as nails when set up. I am thinking of doing my newer jeep soon so when we go to beach just hose out. Also used 60 grit sand paper to scuff.

• I'm hearing that I should return the Rustoleum and get my money back, and also that I should consider doing a roll-on DIY product like Herculiner. I don't mind spending the $23 online for a quart. I guess I would be a little concerned that it might be too thick and have a negative effect on the narrow slot that runs around the rim of the tub (where a soft top retainer slides in).

DoverTJ, I imagine this job will take a tiny amount of Herculiner....let me know if you'd like to sell me some of your leftover (assuming you have some).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!