Modifying Driving Lights

• OK so I bought a set (actually a few sets) of halogen driving lights... one to replace the old ones on the bumper of my YJ (which were damaged in the incident), and two more to install on a lightbar I picked up over the winter. One or two of the reviews I read on this particular set of lights was that the wiring that comes stock with the set-up is poor, and upon disassembling one for inspection, the wire that is used internally is indeed a very thin gauge.

I've read that this will cause the lights to be much dimmer than they should/could be (55w bulbs), but they way they have the bulb mounts constructed, it's virtually impossible to replace the positive lead (it's basically soldered right to the bulb base, and impossible to get to without snipping apart the entire housing). I'm willing to invest in replacement bulbs/mountings (and plan to go to AutoZone to see what's available that will fit), but before I go to that trouble...

Do I really need to rewire these? Will the stock smaller gauge wiring indeed cause the lights to be dimmer? I was planning to upgrade to 14 gauge (it looks like the existing wiring is smaller than a standard lamp cord, so I'm assuming that it's no bigger than 18 gauge).

I used to think about buying a fuel-efficient vehicle.<br />Then I remembered I have a Jeep and can drive over sh*t.

• Run the fog lights through a relay. That way they will get 12V directly from the battery. Tap into the low beam head light wire to activate the relay so the fog lights will go off when you turn on your high beams.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Are they H3 bulbs?

Like this:

Exactly like those. That wire is really thin... but I guess if it's the spec for Hella 100w lights, then it must be OK.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H8…lamp-Search/dp/B0002M9UTS

I'm going to order a pair of the 100w bulbs and check the difference against the stock ones. Thanks!

I used to think about buying a fuel-efficient vehicle.<br />Then I remembered I have a Jeep and can drive over sh*t.

Edited once, last by Mudflaps ().

• the thin-gauge wiring is ok for a short run like that. The longer the run, the larger the wire size you need. 14ga should be more than enough for a pair of 50W lights, especially with a short run to a bumper.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!