Yet one more electrical issue

• Sunday afternoon the Jeep sputtered out and died on me. Drifted to the shoulder and tried to restart. No crank at all... also I got no gauges when I turn the key forward. Here's the skinny...
    New battery. New starter. new alternator. New battery cables. Starter relay switch- 2yo. Ign control mod- ~2yo. Ign switch- less than 2yo. Battery- 12v. Cont thru all grounds and pos cables. Starter will crank if jumped.

So I'm thinking it's either the ign switch or the solenoid switch. Any other ideas? I really don't want to screw with that dang ign switch!!! Piss poor location and I'm too fat to keep doing yoga poses to get under the dash! If it does turnout to be the ign switch, is there a way to bypass it with a start button of sorts?

Sorry for all the short stuff. My laptop decided now would be a great time to update!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• I would check the fusible link. I had one go when I was driving. All power to the vehicle went out. I rigged a wire from the battery to the alternator to get home. I think the links are usually at the starter solenoid. If you use a jumper wire from the battery to the alt. and your gauges work then that should be your problem.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, &WCF_AMPERSAND"Damn...that was fun!&WCF_AMPERSAND"

• I did check that as well... apologies for forgetting to mention it. I tested continuity from the starter relay to the far end of of the FL where it's spliced into the regular wire. No broken or burned out spots in the FL.

**Edit: What I referred to as the Solenoid Switch is actually called a starter relay. This jobby here:
    [img height=135]http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/20634/image/2/[/img]

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• Is there any way that the culprit could be the NSS? I don't think I've ever messed with it before and not even sure where it's located. On the trans? I would guess it's somewhere near the shift linkage.... :shrug:

• Yes it's an auto... I'll have to get back about the reverse lights when I get home from work. I had it sputter Saturday on my way back north. I was getting onto Rt.1 @ the C&D bridge and it sputtered 2-3 times but ran fine after that. Leads me to believe there's something loose that finally broke free. The battery cable was in rough shape so I replaced it. I got a good tone from the Neg cable to the block and the block to the firewall grounds. I'm thinking that I'll be adding a 3rd ground and replacing the flexible strap ground as well... or at least cleaning it up really well. I'll double check my splice for the starter relay @ the fusible link and I'm also going to replace the cable from the alt to the batt and the pos on batt to the relay switch.

Headlights work (relayed to batt), interior lights work (direct conn to batt thru switch), clock works (only thing on the dash that does), all the fuses are good (except mine of course!!).... :bang:

I think at this point it'd be easier to rip out the entire wiring harness and build another. :cuss:

• Any idea how old the crankshaft position sensor is? That was nasty with my XJ. No crank, no dash, no computer, no nothing.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• 4.2 carb'd & nuttered

... does it even have a CPS? I'm pretty sure it doesn't since that would be a computer controlled component and IIRC the computer only monitored/adjusted the carb and emissions system. As a matter of fact that's a bundle of wiring I should go ahead and remove while I'm at this....

• No cps that is why i asked. The electrical system is simiple on a 4.2. U need to check to see if u have spark. If u dont there is a motorcraft ignition module that goes bad. This is what fires the plugs.

• I won't be able to get to do any work on the Jeep today but I'll dive into it tomorrow. I'm @ work now and taking the lil lady out for dinner tonight and shots...@ the range! I'll switch out that MC relay and see if it works. I didn't get a chance to mess with it last night either so I'm not sure about the NSS/tailights working yet.

• Well today I finally figured out the problem. After narrowing it down to the starter relay and/or the ignition switch, I figured on it being the ignition switch. I checked for power to the relay and through it when the key was on run and start but nothing except 12v from the battery.

So with that in mind, I started to pull the connections from the ignition switch. Sure enough the 12 v hot came out in my hand. I pushed t back in and Vroom! Started right up. Oy! It's always the little things, ain't it... So I pulled the little lock tab down and snapped it back into place. A few gentle tugs to ensure it was locked and wouldn't back out again and I'm back in business. Now to return the unused NSS and ign switch and get my new seats installed. Thanks to all for the help! I just love fellow Jeepers!

• Touche' sir! Good call! I'm glad I didn't have to pull the whole switch out and it was only a loose wire.

That 12v hot is a new run that I replaced 2yrs ago whe the ign switch crapped out. I'm not sure how it worked its way out of the plug though. I still think Dawn sabotaged it so she didn't have to go wheeling on our anniversary. Lol if she's that crafty maybe I should let her work on the jeep from now on.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!