M416 1/4 ton military trailer....

• I realize there have been plenty of threads over the years on the subject of trailers, so pardon me for starting one more....

Background: I'm interested in a project to create a "expedition" type trailer -- something a little sturdier than my low-budget utility trailer from Tractor Supply. Since I own a TJ, I'd like the trailer to be as small and lightweight as possible. I was thinking there are two options. First, I could purchase a utility trailer and then utilize my formidable welding skills (that's sarcasm) to build up what I want. Second, I could purchase something that's already somewhat offroad-ready, then modify it a little to suit my needs. One thing...I've recently become interested in using the TJ as the base for a camper. I'm interested in the roof-top tents, but I'm not so sure that will work with a TJ. So, my "Plan B" is to turn a light trailer into a tent camper. I know at least a couple of guys in DEJA have done this. I'm trying to get up to speed with my military trailer knowledge, and I've learned that the M416 is a 1/4 ton unit....which ought to tow nicely behind the TJ. I think it would be nice to not need trailer brakes, just because of the extra weight and extra hassle.

I know there's a lot of trailer knowledge in DEJA, so I'm asking for your input on the feasibility of buying a used M416 -- or something similar -- and tinkering with it to make it a somewhat custom expedition trailer (basically, for going offroad). If anyone knows of one for sale, I'd be interested in hearing about it. If I did find one for sale somewhere not too far, would one of you trailer experts be willing to ride with me to check it out? Much thanks.

p.s. On a related topic, has anyone had a good experience with a roof-top tent on a TJ? I'd like to hear about it in a PM or email.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I've been watching for a while and seen a few but I happened to find this one yesterday.
    http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4659075194.html

One thing that I've been told and it's vital and that is that the trailer be currently tagged in their home state. That should allow it to get through DMV w/o issue.

Thats a nice one. The only thing that is needed is a clean title, transfer title and then register, no inspection should be needed. Its too small.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Check out govliquidation.com Just look under the Delaware location. I haven't seen any 1/4 tons but a lot of 3/4 and 1-1/2. Might be to big for what you need. I've seen them go for $300 up to $700. You can go see them down around The Port of Wilm.
    Check out some of the other locations too...You never know what you might find.

• Thats a nice one. The only thing that is needed is a clean title, transfer title and then register, no inspection should be needed. Its too small.

Steve, are you saying the M416 is too small, even considering that I'll be pulling it with a short wheel-based TJ? I figure I can't go much larger. Have you ever seen anyone do any cool mods on an M416?

• I probably know the Dinoot website as well as anyone.....but nice try!

Do you feel that the Harbor Freight trailer frame -- specifically the 40.5" x 48" with 12" tires - is strong enough to use as the foundation for what I'm trying to achieve? One thing....I'd like to be able to put wheels and tires on the trailer to match my TJ, which are 33" rubber and MT Classic II wheels.

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Steve, are you saying the M416 is too small, even considering that I'll be pulling it with a short wheel-based TJ? I figure I can't go much larger. Have you ever seen anyone do any cool mods on an M416?

No, its great, it's too small to require an inspection at DMV. [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][size=14px]Trailers exceeding a 4,000-pound weight limit must pass brake and safety inspections. Smaller than that, just transfer title, tag and register . $20 per year. [/size][/color]
    [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][size=14px] [/size][/color]
    [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][size=14px]Also northern tool companyhttp://www.northerntool.com/sh…/category_trailers-towing[/size][/color][size=14px]http://www.northerntool.com/sh…/category_trailers-towing have lots of trailer parts and axles to mod any trailer. [/size]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• No, its great, it's too small to require an inspection at DMV. [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][font=helvetica][size=14px]Trailers exceeding a 4,000-pound weight limit must pass brake and safety inspections. Smaller than that, just transfer title, tag and register . $20 per year.

Typically, Delaware's DMV will still require an inspection lane visit when initially transferring the title and registering it in your name. From then on you can just stop in with the registration to renew.

• Typically, Delaware's DMV will still require an inspection lane visit when initially transferring the title and registering it in your name. From then on you can just stop in with the registration to renew.

True.

VIN verification and initial safety inspection. Just once though.

Do you feel that the Harbor Freight trailer frame -- specifically the 40.5" x 48" with 12" tires - is strong enough to use as the foundation for what I'm trying to achieve? One thing....I'd like to be able to put wheels and tires on the trailer to match my TJ, which are 33" rubber and MT Classic II wheels.

Most trailers come sprung under.

You can flip the axle to sprung over and gain a couple inches.

Done right you should weld new perches on as many trailer axles are "cambered".

Many people cheat though and just flip it.

That trailer comes with 4 lug wheels, going to be hard to fit Jeep wheels on it.

Look at the ones TSC sells. They are more expensive but have 5 lug hubs and double the capacity.

• [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][size=14px]

True.

VIN verification and initial safety inspection. Just once though.
    [/size]
    [/color]

[color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][/color]
    [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][/color]
    [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][size=14px]When I bought mine (it was used , already tagged), I took it threw DMV . They told me it wasnt needed. Just had to go in to get it titled and tagged. [/size][/color] :shrug:

• That trailer comes with 4 lug wheels, going to be hard to fit Jeep wheels on it.

Look at the ones TSC sells. They are more expensive but have 5 lug hubs and double the capacity.

Cheaper to change the hubs as needed . Later down the road the axle if needed imo.

• Less than $100 for new hubs, packed with grease ready to install .
    Axle _if_ needed.
    Plenty have built off road trailers with the HF frame .

• Less than $100 for new hubs, packed with grease ready to install .
    Axle _if_ needed.
    Plenty have built off road trailers with the HF frame .

Silly to buy something just to have to "fix" it.

HF trailer weighs 153 lbs.

The TSC 4x6' weighs 250.

It'll come with a real axle from the start.

1750 vs 1090 lbs cargo capacity.

• Here's where I reveal my ignorance. Keith, what is TSC? I probably should know. I'll definitely check it out, as I'm not opposed to spending a little extra up front to save some time and hassle later.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!