Spray bed liner references welcomed...

• I've got an appointment to take my 1998 TJ to the I.G. Burton dealership's body shop Monday evening to have them apply Rhino Linings to the tub. A good friend swears by the Rhino he has sprayed into his F-150 a few years ago. I'm getting it done for less than $600. That said, I'd feel just a wee bit better if I got some positive referrals from the DEJA crowd on I.G. Burton's spray liner work.

(Just to be clear, I'm not trying to open up a discusion on one brand versus another. Also, I'll point out that the Dover Line-X dealer will also do my tub for under $600, so I'm a little torn on which direction to go. I'm aware that these two competitors have become much alike in recent years, but I also know that the number one reason an application is good or bad is....the installer.)

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• I had my truck's bed done at First State Line-X in Newark and have been very happy. It was sprayed in '05 and save for a couple nicks from engines/axles/etc getting drug across it still looks new after it's washed. I wouldn't hesitate to go back, esp. since my personal preference is for Line-X over chalky-ass Rhino. :razz:

Oh wait....you didn't want brand vs brand. :innocent:

--Ian

• I have heard that Line-x out performs Rhino. It also has more color options.

Here is a comparison...
    Line-X Liners Line-x is applied “hot” (temperatures between 130-210 degrees) using a high pressure spray system. As a general rule, Line-X liners tend to be thin (about 1/4″ thick) and uniform. Most people believe that thinner is better when it comes to looks; A thin coating tends to follow every contour of your truck’s bed and preserves the factory appearance. One other aspect of the thin coating is that Line-X liners usually have a very rough surface that sparkles when new. Line-X also tends to be run-free because it mixes in the spray gun and “sets” in 3-5 seconds.
    Some people dislike the rough Line-x surface because it’s “harder”. It can be hard on the knees while moving around in the bed and it can damage your cargo (finished wood surfaces and Line-x liners don’t mix, for instance). While you can request that the installer reduce the roughness of the finish, this will also result in a surface that’s less glossy. Obviously, a harder material has some strength benefits (resistance to tearing), and many Line-X dealers swear that their material holds up better than the softer material offered by Rhino.
    The thing is, many newer Rhino liners (SolarMax, Extreme, HardLine) use essentially the same application process and material that Line-X uses…so you have to be careful about buying into blanket statements. Suffice to say, Rhino has definitely changed/upgraded their products in the last few years in an effort to better match-up with Line-X.

Rhino Liners It’s very important to understand that Rhino liners are applied differently from one installer to the next. If you find a Rhino liner installer that uses a hot, high-pressure system (a SolarMax dealer), the differences between a liner from that particular installer and a liner from Line-X can be small. Rhino’s SolarMax, Extreme, and HardLine liners, for example, are very similar to the standard Line-X Premium, Platinum, or Xtra liners.
    On the other hand, some Rhino dealers are only offering TuffGrip liners, which are softer than Line-X. Softer has pros and cons:

[li]The increased thickness of a softer Rhino liner gives it a softer “rubbery” feel, and the liner’s surface isn’t as rough as Line-X so it’s more gentle on knees and cargo.[/li]
      [li]Rhino’s thicker coating also aids in sound deadening, and the surface seems to “grab” objects better than Line-X.[/li]
      [li]Thicker material usually means a duller appearance – it doesn’t follow the contours of a truck bed nearly as well as Line-X.[/li]
      [li]It’s not as tear resistant as the harder materials.[/li]

To sum up, the newest products from Rhino are quite comparable to the Line-X line-up…but there are some Rhino dealers who don’t have the ability to spray the newest product. Unless you want a softer TuffGrip liner (and you’re OK with the reduced overall resistance of that softer material), you want to buy from a Rhino dealer that offers SolarMax and newer products.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Can't speak for the I.G. Burton rhino but, I had my truck bed lined at the Dover Line-X about 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it. I will use them again whenever the need arises.

• I'm also ignoring the comment about not comparing brands. :) I just did Monstaliner myself earlier this summer and so far I am very happy with it. Lots of complaints online about Rhinolining fading over the years. Monstaliner and U-Pol Raptor seem to have the best reputations from what I was able to find. The kit is $145 with a code for free shipping on jeepforum (order extra foam rollers, trust me) so it's roughly 25% of the cost. Application was easy but time consuming though my tub was about as dirty as possible when I started. Soooo, I vote for just doing it yourself and saving the money.

http://www.shop.monstaliner.co…-Roll-On-Kit-ML90RK1G.htm
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum…iy-roll-bed-liner-875162/

• Thanks Steve and Ian. Yes, I've done a lot of internet reading the past few days. I was initially leaning toward Line-X, partly because of logistics...the vendor is closer to me than the Rhino guy. My impression is that they are both quality products, and the difference in quality just might be the guy holding the spray gun. When it comes to Rhino, I would definitely make sure it's NOT the TuffGrip product. If you really do think Line-X is the way to go, maybe I should think about that instead. Decisions, decisions! My head hurts. Jim

• Can't speak for the I.G. Burton rhino but, I had my truck bed lined at the Dover Line-X about 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it. I will use them again whenever the need arises.

gpw1985, was the Line-X guy's name Jamie? Splits his time between Salisbury and Dover? If so, I spoke with him yesterday, and he'd be the guy doing my TJ if I chose to go with Line-X. Thanks for your input.

• I'm also ignoring the comment about not comparing brands. :) I just did Monstaliner myself earlier this summer and so far I am very happy with it. Lots of complaints online about Rhinolining fading over the years. Monstaliner and U-Pol Raptor seem to have the best reputations from what I was able to find. The kit is $145 with a code for free shipping on jeepforum (order extra foam rollers, trust me) so it's roughly 25% of the cost. Application was easy but time consuming though my tub was about as dirty as possible when I started. Soooo, I vote for just doing it yourself and saving the money.

http://www.shop.monstaliner.co…-Roll-On-Kit-ML90RK1G.htm
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum…iy-roll-bed-liner-875162/

I'm not against hard work, I just thought from all that I've read that the pro spray liners can't be beaten. I don't trust myself spraying a liner in my garage; I just don't have the skill and experience with a sprayer. However, I'm hell with a brush and roller! Did you spray or roll? Any chance I'd be happy with a rolled on Monstaliner product? (BTW, I don't mind having a forum discusson on this whole broad topic. I just figured most DEJA regulars roll their eyes when they see someone post up about it these days....it's been talked to death.)

• Chief that is correct. Jamie was the only one I have ever spoken to up there actually. I was apprehensive to have it done at first but glad I did. I nicked one spot on the edge of the bed with the tail gate removed trying to slide a welding table out by myself, but that was my own fault. Other than that and being dirty it looks like the day it went in.

• I rolled it on. If you are going to the beach cleanup Saturday I'll have my Jeep there.

Function > form to me. Am I a professional at rolling on bed liner and is it 100% flawless looking? No. Do I have confidence that Monstaliner won't fade/become chalky and will last basically forever? Yes. Did I spend the $450 I saved on hookers and blow? Maybe.

• I highly recommend Extreme Lining in Middletown. They did the inside of my TJ 6 years ago and it still looks great.

I had my fenders Rhino lined in Dover years ago and they faded pretty quick and look like crap now

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• I highly recommend Extreme Lining in Middletown. They did the inside of my TJ 6 years ago and it still looks great.

I had my fenders Rhino lined in Dover years ago and they faded pretty quick and look like crap now

I just did a quick search and did not get any web hits. Are they still around? Can you point me in the right direction?

• Chief that is correct. Jamie was the only one I have ever spoken to up there actually. I was apprehensive to have it done at first but glad I did. I nicked one spot on the edge of the bed with the tail gate removed trying to slide a welding table out by myself, but that was my own fault. Other than that and being dirty it looks like the day it went in.

FYI, I just spoke with Jamie again at Line-X in Dover, and $600 is the lowest he'll go. He said that if he charges any less than that, he won't make any money. He also said that he could make more money doing three pickup beds for $500 in the same amount of time it would take to do a single Jeep tub.

• I just did a quick search and did not get any web hits. Are they still around? Can you point me in the right direction?

Xtreme Liner...shop is Trucks Unlimited in Middletown. Never had work done personally, just remember them from Jen doing JFJ stuff.

--Ian

• Jim,
    Tell Jamie to go pound sand and spray in a kit in your driveway. Pull the interior (seats, console, belts, cage fabric), scuff heavily - but not past the clearcoat and into the paint, blow it out, chemically clean it, then roll it out by your basketball net and spray it in. That's what I did to my TJ and it came out great.

• Doing the outside of the tub or inside or both?

Reason I ask is if you are doing the inside plan on re-installing any carpet you have in the jeep. That stuff radiates some serious heat from the tranny and exhaust pipe. I burn my feet and legs every summer and I have to put beach towels down if I plan to drive on an hour long or longer trip.

As stated before, no comparison in the two (Rhino vs Line-X). Both completely different products with pros and cons to each. Maybe not so for a jeep. However, a major difference for a truck or trailer...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• I highly recommend Extreme Lining in Middletown. They did the inside of my TJ 6 years a(go and it still looks great.

Jerrod, sad news indeed....

If you look up Trucks Unlimited (Xtreme Linings) in Middletown on the internet and dial the phone number, you'll get a pleasant-sounding young lady asking you what type of pizza you'd like to order.

If you ignore your instincts and dial the number a second time, you'll get an unpleasant-sounding old man informing you that Trucks Unlimited went out of business and they got their phone number.

I tried to negotiate a deal to have my TJ tub lined with provolone, but, alas, we could not come to an agreement.

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!