JK guys...check your brakes....

• Im at 42K miles and my JK brake pads are SPENT. researching online, some complain about 15-20k miles per set on the rears. i think im pretty lucky since i pulled 42K miles including offroad and towing use. There wasnt much notice, (grind/squeal) and the back side of the rear brakes were about 1/32 versus about 3/16 on the front side.

Plus side is...my 2012 was SIMPLE to change. it took longer to get the tools out and the tires off than it did to change out the rears. going to do the front's tomorrow. they look to be the same design as the rear. if every vehicle was this easy, repair shops would be out of business.

• I had to replace my rear pads in Moab with around 37500 miles on the clock. Of course, they got a little abused out there. An 18mm ratchet wrench will make it go much easier, a standard wrench will be a PITA and a ratchet and socket won't fit.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Check for any recalls on the front JK brakes.... after the Members trip back in June, my brother burnt out his front driver's side brake on the way home. It literally was just the pad backer plates falling out on one side and the other was jammed up between the caliper and rotor and bent all to hell. IIRC, he mentioned that there was a recall or TSB on the brake line collapsing causing failure.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• My 2008 burns rear brake pads like it burns oil. WAY TOO FAST!!!

Oh yeah...I also had a left rear caliper lock up and literally turn the rotor red. Needless to say I had to change everything after that one. :doh:

• What year Matt? Did you buy new? Sara's 2012 had its rears go around 30-35k, would be cool to know when they made the adjustment. I'm guessing they are playing around with the pro portioning, always used to the fronts wearing first

• pulled the wheels today on the front....fronts are fine. going to let them go a little while.

The rears have been my issue. Maybe they changed the proportioning valve on the newer ones.

You shouldn't need to pull the wheels though. Just look in or feel the pads with your hands.

• What year Matt? Did you buy new? Sara's 2012 had its rears go around 30-35k, would be cool to know when they made the adjustment. I'm guessing they are playing around with the pro portioning, always used to the fronts wearing first

I have a 2010. But Spedly can vouch that my JK just seems to miss all the problems.

• The rears have been my issue. Maybe they changed the proportioning valve on the newer ones.

You shouldn't need to pull the wheels though. Just look in or feel the pads with your hands.

i had them pulled to do a torque check on my spacers anyway

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!