Tranny fluid leak

• Saw some tranny fluid on garage floor and it is coming from around the seal. Looks like it is tough to replace, not much room. Is this an expensive fix by a garage.

• I just had to replace my trans cooler lines. They were leaking from the spot where it goes from the bent alum line to rubber. Took about 30 minutes to replace.

• Manual. Is that an expensive job for a garage.

Depends on how you classify expensive.
    Prob take 6-8 hours to remove everything, fix the seal if thats the case, and re-install everything.
    Going shop rate is about $95/hr give or take.
    A good shop can prog have the job done in 6 hours IMO.

• There is no pump seal on a manual. There are also no cooler lines so we are getting a little closer. There is a front retainer seal and rear output seal. If its leaking from the bellhousing it could also be the rear main on the motor. So many possibilities. How much fluid is leaking? Just a drop or 2 or a large puddle? The housings on manuals almost never leak from the seams unless they are cracked and thats highly u likely. More likely it is leaking from the shifter or tower and running down. Are u even sure its trans fluid? Take a pic of the leak location if u can. Sorry but u have given us very little info so you are not gonna get that much accurate help. If u are really worried about it have a shop like joe schilling trans put it on the rack and inspect it. Also what year jeep and motor. At least we can narrow down which thans you have.

• There is no pump seal on a manual.

Factory parts listing shows a seal ..

FWIW...He has a 02 X model.

Only going by the parts listing as I have never had to replace the seal on my 03 5spd, just the clutch, a few times.

• Assuming u are talking about 19 and 20 for seals. Yes they are input and output seals as described not pump seals. I know its a minor detail but manuals dont have pumps. Pumps are are part of an auto trans. Just trying to help the op with terminalogy and diagnostic info so he can accurately describe the issue. It is a good drawing so he can see where the tower seal is and there is also a seal the shifter rides on inside that tower. Honestly it can be leaking from any of the sensors or plugs.

• Might be a vent? Kinda weird they show two of them ( #11 and #22 )

Best thing to do is check the fluid level, clean the trans, run it till hot, see where the leak is coming from.

If it's the front seal ( Or rear engine seal ), I would be concerned of the condition of the clutch too.

• Sorry for the late response, I was out of the country. When I got home there were a few drops of tranny fluid on the floor. The leak is coming from the front of the bell housing around the gasket at the bottom. The oil pan is right in front of it. I wiped some off a week ago and it is very small. I would rather live with it then have it replaced at $$$. Had this issue on my 02 Jeep and left it alone. Is there an automotive epoxy or sealer I could apply after thoroughly cleaning the area. If not, when I take it in for service I will have my garage look at it. Thanks for all of the great advice.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!