camping trailer build...

• IMHO do yourself a favor and cut a few pieces or take several pieces of scrap and practice fusing them vs laying a bead on plate. There's a difference in feel and how the puddle reacts at a joint when compared to the center of a piece of steel. When I first started welding I had a number of 'sculptures' made from various thicknesses of steel and random junk jeep parts. :innocent:

--Ian

• IMHO do yourself a favor and cut a few pieces or take several pieces of scrap and practice fusing them vs laying a bead on plate. There's a difference in feel and how the puddle reacts at a joint when compared to the center of a piece of steel. When I first started welding I had a number of 'sculptures' made from various thicknesses of steel and random junk jeep parts. :innocent:

--Ian

X2. Especially when it comes time to join 1/8" to 1/4".

You will have to spend more time on the thicker side to get enough heat on it without burning thru the thinner side.

Another good tip I learned when doing FCAW is to remove the nozzle from the end of the gun.

It makes it way easier to see what you are doing. :welder:

• Didn't get done today what I wanted... Had to work on my mom's car. Did get a chance to set up the saw, cut a short piece of 1/8" flat bar and weld it to the angle. First is the one I did horizontal, then a vertical piece. Hammered on it to check for strength and it bent just before the welds. The vertical one is two passes, had feed issues with the first so it gave a bumpy surface for the second.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I really don't think I'll have to rebuy anything except maybe different length bolts unless I really screw something up. I'm getting much better with my projects sticking to plan lately.

Lol famous last words. Screwed up the first cut. The length was dead on, but put the angle on the wrong side. Realized it before I lifted the saw arm. Which was a minute too late. So now I have enough steel for the sides and either the front or rear piece. The question is do I buy a new section, butt weld two of the scrap lengths to make a longer piece or recess the receiver tube by joining two lengths around the receiver? The second two options are harder, but I wouldn't mind doing the extra work and recessing the receiver. I was originally just going to weld it under the frame.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• When cutting miters I always lay it down and just make a soapstone line in the general direction of the cut. It's easy to get confused when making a bunch of miter cuts. Especially when using a chop saw that only cuts 45* in one direction which means flipping angle 2 different ways.

• Lol famous last words. Screwed up the first cut. The length was dead on, but put the angle on the wrong side. Realized it before I lifted the saw arm. Which was a minute too late. So now I have enough steel for the sides and either the front or rear piece. The question is do I buy a new section, butt weld two of the scrap lengths to make a longer piece or recess the receiver tube by joining two lengths around the receiver? The second two options are harder, but I wouldn't mind doing the extra work and recessing the receiver. I was originally just going to weld it under the frame.

Id recess the receiver. Since your are going to cut through the piece entirely to get your extra length, Id put some angled braces from the back of the receiver to the sides as an extra precaution. I guess if you go that route it kinda defeats the purpose of not buying more steel, unless you have something laying around....
    Just out of curiosity what size is the piece you screwed up?

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Well, this one turns left and right... I just didn't think. I had carefully made soapstone lines marking 72" on all 4 sides, lined up the edge with the blade and cut perfectly down the wrong side. I had it laying on the 3" side, instead of the 2" side. It was the first cut, so if I had the wrong 45*, I could have easily fixed it by just reversing the other end.

I finished the rest of the cuts, so 3 sides of the frame are ready to go. I just have to decide what I'm gonna do for the front. What do you think about this as a way to join two shorter sections and recess the receiver? Will strength be compromised too much?

Ed, you posted while I was playing in Paint. It was 2x3 tube. I have three 2' sections right now left over from cutting out the 6' lengths from the 8' original size and one 29" section. I need 40.5". The receiver will also be either welded with a t-joint to 2" angle or semi recessed in 2" angle serving as the first crossmember.

Images

Jerry / Whatevah

• You could just make it narrower and use Jims axle. ;D

If you can I would probably use the spliced section at the rear rather than the front.

A lot more forces at the front because of the tongue being there.

What kind of saw are you using?

• I was thinking the rear would be smarter, too. Especially since I was already planning on cross braces back there.

14" saw, I think 3400rpm max, 3.5hp, 15amp. I think 34grit blades. Cuts well. Lol

Jerry / Whatevah

• I think it would probably work like that as long as its braced well. My only concern would be that it might be a bit of a pain to keep completely straight/ square when you weld it together and add the receiver. :shrug:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• yeah... I'll be welding with it on the floor and bracing and weighting down the ends the best that I can. Is that design OK, or should I have the two pieces meet under the receiver?

Jerry / Whatevah

• well, the trailer was forced to the back burner... my mom moved out of NYC to Long Island and needed her car fixed. It hadn't run in almost 4 years, so that was a challenge. Bought more tools, though... picked up an electric (corded) impact gun from Harbor Freight that blows away my Bosch cordless. A cam bolt for the struts was kinda ghettoed by whoever did the alignment and I couldn't budge it with my breaker bar, but the electric impact spun it off like it was nothing.

Anyhow, work has resumed on my little trailer. The frame is almost done, would have finished it today (besides suspension) but decided that I want to match the tongue braces with the tongue box that I didn't buy yet. So, I went and bought it... on sale again at Harbor Freight. Tomorrow, I've got afternoon movie plans but hope to wake up early enough to get the frame finished and prep for paint. I'm using Chassis Saver for the frame. Seems to be crazy strong and impact/scratch resistant, but will fade if exposed to direct sunlight, so I think I'll spray it tan to match the trailer. Haven't completed decided yet, might go with Hammered black?

Still haven't figured out what to do for the tailgate latches, I currently have regular CJ latches but those won't work with a cover or mounted tent. Thinking maybe the t-handle latches from pickup truck caps? Somebody mentioned old-school tailgate latches like the military trucks use, but I couldn't figure out what parts to use without it looking like I robbed from my neighbors fence.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Any recent pictures? FWIW, I've had pretty good luck with the hammered Rust-Oleum roll-on paint. Used it on part of the frame of my popup camper.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Haven't been doing any photos... usually too dark by time I finish to show anything good. At this point, I guess I'll wait until it's on tires. :) I'm hoping that'll be Thursday.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Well, it would have been on tires Thursday night but I had to visit a friend at the ER. The suspension is on, way overkill on the welds, around 18" of weld holding each side to the frame. Lol just need the left wheel spacer bolted on, then the wheels will fit and I can get it out the garage. Sadly, the Jeep is my current focus, stupid thing won't start.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Umm, anybody have a gorilla that I can borrow for a few minutes?

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!