Removing Suspension Lift

• Looking for advice.....
    I bought a used 1998 TJ, that had (i think) a 4" Rough Country suspension lift on it. It's got 33" BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's with not a whole lot of tread left. I'm not a huge fan of the way it rides, compared to a stock one that I had a few years ago. I was thinking of just taking the lift off, to make it stock again, and putting 31's on it. Maybe down the line I could go up an inch or two with a budget lift. Or just keep it stock.
    Would anybody suggest doing this.... or not doing this for any reason? And does anybody know a company or people that would do the work? Thanks!

• It could def be done, I would suggest trying to go back to stock springs with 2 inch spacers. The budget boost can give very close to stock ride and handling.

It may also be worth trying to just swap out the shocks, I believe RC has a reputation for being very rough, ironically...

Full stock can be done too.

Depending on schedule, I could do the work

• Good advice from E-Rock, especially on switching out shocks. I once had a customer say that his Jeep with RC suspension rode "like a tank" (I was so glad when he said the brand, since I knew that he didn't buy it from us!). Swapped him into the Rancho adjustable shocks and he was happy. just a suggestion.

Before you decide to go down to stock, check and see what components have been replaced... control arms, trackbars, driveshafts (and SYE or lowering kit), brake lines, swaybar links, etc. That'll let you know how much work will be needed to go back to stock, some things like SYE conversions are somewhat permanent and if you have an SYE, you'd need to have a driveshaft made for you since the one you have now is likely too long.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Good advice from E-Rock, especially on switching out shocks. I once had a customer say that his Jeep with RC suspension rode "like a tank" (I was so glad when he said the brand, since I knew that he didn't buy it from us!). Swapped him into the Rancho adjustable shocks and he was happy. just a suggestion..

Please do this first.. I was planning on rebuilding my leaf springs on my YJ until Whatevah suggested the same thing. WAY better ride for just a few bucks (and a lot less work).

• 4x on the shocks, lowering a Jeep , is like getting a penis reduction... just makes you cross you legs and shutter. :mrgreen:

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Good advice from E-Rock, especially on switching out shocks. I once had a customer say that his Jeep with RC suspension rode "like a tank" (I was so glad when he said the brand, since I knew that he didn't buy it from us!). Swapped him into the Rancho adjustable shocks and he was happy. just a suggestion.

You guys are obviously not talking about the "new" Rough country that uses progressive rate springs and the the 2.2 shocks...

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• I just did the reverse of what you're talking about ( Where were you two months ago!!! We could have just switched!!! [emoji16] ) And I would suggest changing the shocks. I went from 31 to 33 by adding the spacers someone mentioned. I used shocks with a similar feel to stock and ride quality is fine.

• If your goal is just to use as a street jeep on 31" tires, then I wouldn't even bother with the 2" spacer as it'll fit them fine stock. If you foresee going offroad and flexing at all then maybe the 2" spacers wouldn't be a bad idea.

Either way, I would look for new equipment to downgrade to. Typically people pull their used stock equipment after beating on it quite a bit and realizing they need to build the Jeep bigger. No need to introduce their past problems into your Jeep. I'd hit up rockauto.com and order new control arms, springs, and shocks. Even OEM replacement shocks at one of the local parts stores will ride fine with stock springs and stock arms. I'd also check to make sure you don't need to get stock swaybar links since lowering the Jeep will make for some weird angles on the extended links. The same goes for the trackbar(s) as lowering the Jeep will shift the axles to the side considerably. Pulling off a lift and putting it back to stock can be done pretty easily and quickly and can be done in the driveway in one day.

If in doubt of your current parts, snap some pictures and post them on here and we can help identify what is still stock and what would need to be replaced with stock stuff.

• Lifts don't make Jeeps ride bad.

Bad lifts do.

I have a 1st generation RE 3.5" lift with 33's and while it doesn't ride like a Caddy, it's quite comfortable on the road and you can steer with one finger.

• As is, there are things wrong. It looks like ur swaybar links are too long, there are no extended bump stops, and at least in the front, ur shocks may be too long.

I would say that if u would like a lifted jeep with a nice ride, fix the current problems, if u actually want a stock height jeep, then that's a diff story.

• I am definitely interested in bringing it back down. Do you think it would be easier / more cost effective to take it back to stock, or maybe bring it down to a 2" lift of some kind? I ordered some 31" Goodyear Duratracs that should be in soon. So if you know anybody that might need some 33s with not a whole lot of tread on them. Let me know

I will check the tire pressure

• Damn, you jump quick.

Either way you will need new springs, shocks, links.

Take a pic of your pitman arm, it may be a dropped version.

Those are aftermarket control arms which may still work depending on what else was done.

Also take a pic of the rear driveshaft.

• I've got stock springs, shocks and lcas from a 2003 if you're looking at going back to that, used for a year

• The driveshaft is stock, looks like there are spacers between the crossmember (transmission/transfercase mount... the big rusty thing in the middle of the Jeep, partially visible in the left side of the photo). You should be able to go back to stock without any major issues, you can leave the upgraded control arms on there. I'm not sure about the pitman arm, but it looks like you'll be due for new tie rod ends soon, judging from the condition of the drag link boot. The trackbar looks like OEM as well, although I can't see if they drilled a new mounting hole on the axle side. The brake lines will be a little long, but work... just check to see if the excess line will rub on the tires or anything.

You'll need front and rear springs along with front swaybar links. Possibly rear swaybar links, too... can't see them in any photos.

rear coils http://www.quadratec.com/products/56018_1002.htm x2
    front coils http://www.quadratec.com/products/56018_1005.htm x2
    front links http://www.quadratec.com/products/56004+06.htm x2

You can get OEM type replacement shocks from a local parts store for $20-25/ea... Quadratec only carries aftermarket shocks and those start around $38/ea with no real benefit for a stock Jeep.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!