On Board Air

• Anyone installed am OBA setup in a tj using the sanden compressor? Thinking of putting in my 97 2.5l. No existing ac so everything would need to be added. But I've got a line on a compressor and think that's the biggest hurdle.

Any concerns or issues I should be aware of before I dig into this?

• Its pretty straight forward. I have a sanden on my street jeep. U can source the pressure switch locally. U will want to make the first 2-3 feet of line teflon or another high quality. The temps from the compressed air are high and will rupture standard hose. Only other issue is the fittings on the back of the compressor. Most hydrolic shops shoould be able to convert it with a fitting to something like npt so u can connect to it.

Oh yea i have a cheap oiler on the intake as sandens dont have a oil resi like a york.

• Thanks. It seems pretty simple, just a matter of tracking down some parts and pieces. I've always loved an excuse to comb through the Grainger catalog. I'll post up my progress, compressor should be here Monday.

One question, do you run a tank as part of this setup? Trying to determine where the best place to mount one would be.

• Yea i put the tank under the jeep above the rear driveshaft. U can also do under the hood, behind the seat or on top of the rear fender. U just have to get a tank that fits. I got mine from a salvage yard but there r a lot of different sizes out there.

• I need to hook mine up sometime. I've only had it for 10 or 15 years.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If i remember correctly u may need an extra idler pulley. Google the belt diagram. There should be a a diagram for both ac and non ac.

• Already looked at that. You can't see it in the picture but that pulley is already in place. Just need to get a longer belt.

And I have an electrical connection in that area that has always just been hanging loose. Could that actually be the power for the AC?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!