YJ 2" Shackel Lift

• I got the front shackels of and put the new 2 inch shackels on. But the back is where i am having the problem. The old shackels when you go to remove the old bolt hit the gas tank. I was thinking about grinding through the old bolt but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or had this problem before and knew what to do.

• Use a small drill bit (3/16") and drill out the rubber bushing. This will allow you to cock-eye the bolt out of the frame. Last resort is to drop the gas tank for access.

• We had the same problem when working on james CJ. We ended up doing what Arron said. Just take a drill bit and drill the holes untill the rubber is weak enough to pull out.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• He wants to keep the bushing that is in there, and from what I undestand you guys are saying will kill the bushing right?

• Typically the bolt won't budge from the bushing because it has rusted in place. Even though there isn't a metal sleeve in the shackle bushings, the bolts rust and the rusted portion is gripped by the bushing due to years of the vehicles weight bearing down on it. I would only kill the bushing is I couldn't get the bolt to budge at all.

It sounds like you have it coming out but ran out of room due to the gas tank. In that case I'd either grind or sawzall the bolt in half in order to make room for more of it to come out.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Step One: remove nuts off of shackle

Step Two: remove the out side shackle (the piece outside the frame)

Step Three: remove the outside rubber bushing from the frame and spring(remember these are two piece bushings)

Step Four: with the outer bushing out you will have more room to angle the bolt. giving you room to work it out.

Step Five: don't put the bolt back in that way go in from the outside

• As Ed mentioned, I had the same problem. Drilled the bushing and yes it destroyed the bushing but I had some spares from Loki's lift. (Those rear shackles were a nightmare with all the bolt heads snapping off).

• Quote from "BBD"

Step Five: don't put the bolt back in that way go in from the outside

I'd have to argue this point. If you put the bolt in from the outside how will you ever drive it out again if needed? You won't get a good swing with the hammer from inside the frame rail because the gas tank is in the way. I guess you could try to use a pry bar or pickle fork but I can't see that being easier.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• You'd have to get the bushings too then, right?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!