Jeeps of the past

• How about some pics of jeeps we used to own?
    Here is my first, we pulled this home from Maine when I was 15. I replaced the body with an AJ's fiberglass one. It had 3:73 open diffs, dauntless v6, headers and thrush turbo mufflers, t-86aa three speed, mustang II bucket seats, and 30" Formula Desert Dogs. After several rebuilds of the trans, I went to a turbo 400 auto. I drove this thing all over Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Never passed up a fire road or power line. Later, my uncle helped me adapt a winch bumper from a suburban with an 8000 pound cable controlled Warn winch. It would chirp the tires when it hit second gear!

And a little later, I built this 47. Boxed frame, dana 44 flanged axle with Detroit locker and 3:73 gears. The engine was a pontiac 400 out of a late sixties executive. It had a built turbo 400 and dana 20 transfer case. The engine filled the whole engine bay and had a 4 barrel and dual exhaust. The tires were 35's, and that was big at the time. I only drove it a couple thousand miles and never got to wheel it, sold it to make a down payment on my first house. It probably would have killed me anyway, it would lay a Detroit locker double gumbo monster mudder patch for as long as you could hold your foot on the gas. It had 11" drums all around, but manual master cylinder. Had full cage and fiberglass buckets. A ten gallon spun aluminum tank in the back with no fuel gauge left me stranded at least three times. I had a whole roll of film with pictures of it, but they were ruined when I waited about ten years to try to get them developed.

These are pictures of pictures, way before digital!

• Early 80s in the old Greggo pit on rt-40 I think it's Waterford now. Living large on 33s and a 304. :mrgreen:

and living up to your username

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• My first jeep after I stripped it and primed it, then got a coat of gillespie OD paint.

Second scrambler I owned. It was sold and was rebuilt with a glass body, saw it once after it was rebuilt, it looked nice.

1 of the many CJ7's I have owned. This was parted out, still have the 3.54 geared 30/44 axles out of it, it was a '86 hence the 44 rear.

CJ10a I bought 1997. Sold a few years ago to a guy in Lancaster area. He used the cab on his CJ10 (not a 10a).

My brothers first Jeep. '86 bought from a long ago Delaware Jeeper named Jim Middleton.

Wish this was mine, took picture in my driveway, guy bought something from me years ago.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

• A cj10a was sold to the military to move planes on tarmacs. Nissan 33sd diesel/727/np 208 locked in low/4.88 dana 70 rear. Rated to tow 40,000# plane. 2 seat cab like a aev brute. Removable metal top with world cab doors. Bench seat. 3 pintle hooks on rear with a 1200# weight over rear axle. Very short wheel base. Dummy 44 front acke without a diff.
    10 was an export Jeep. Same cab put with a metal bed or a tray back. (Flat bed). Dana 44 axles (sometimes a 60 in the rear). Usually 1 or 2 at the PA jeep show.
    Theybpop up on ebay every mow and then. Do a googgle search of imagines. They often get converted to rock crawlers or frame lengthed and a bed added.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

• Early 80s in the old Greggo pit on rt-40 I think it's Waterford now. Living large on 33s and a 304. :mrgreen:

I used to ride my 4 wheeler down at the Greggo pit. I remember a guy once came up in a Jeep and had his 3 wheeler in the back ( front tire was between the front seats as I recall). That wasn't you was it?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!