In need of some help!!

• I currently installed a 3" zone lift zone hydro shocks with a 3/4" spacer and a metal cloak adjustable track bar up front of my 98 tj. Before the mods it rode smooth with no driving issues. The tires are 31x10.5/15 and are the same as before the mods. I had it lined up everything is in the green with the exception of caster. Left side is at 6° and the right at 5.9°. Does anyone have any suggestions? The control arms are stock. I first noticed a death wobble when I applied the brakes kinda quick. Afterwards I can feel it when I let off the gas as I'm slowing down without applying brakes. I'm kinda lost as where I didn't have this problem before the lift. I've torqued the track bar down to spec as per metal cloak. I've even rotated the tires and it still does it.

• The symptoms are pointing towards the drive shaft angle. As you accelerate and decelerate your pinion pivots up and down slightly. Sounds like while driving the drive shaft angles are coming into alignment because of the pinion rotating up and OUT of alignment when you break or slow down because of the pinion rotating back down.

If it were a bad u-joint you'd hear it clunk or rattle.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It also comes in just below 55 and goes away before 60mph. It's felt in the steering wheel. It has a super short teraflex and a assembled CV shaft by Adams Driveshaft

• That sounds like a balance issue, generally associated with tire. Maybe you lost a weight?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm with the tire balance answer. That's the speed where tire balance is usually noticed. If a tire has a balance problem guys used to run them on the back because it's least noticeable there. I had one on the front of my work van that shook the wheel. Put it on the back and smooth sailing. Nothing else you did should have really started a problem.
    I would take them to a shop for rebalancing and go from there, might save a lot of trouble. Also, if you can, try to get a look at them as they spin on the balancer. They have internal stresses and can end up out of round over time, you can see it by watching the top or bottom of the tread as they spin. The tire guys usually ignore this and balance it as is, but if it's excessive it will bounce even if balanced.

• These tires were fine before the lift. The only thing changed was a 3" spring lift with 3/4" spring spacers in the front metal cloak adjustable track bar new shocks fixed yolk and new balanced driveshaft. Everything is tight and I've rechecked all the bolts with it on the floor. It's driving me insane! The rear is set at 12° now and it still does it.

• OK I'm thinking I may have worn bushings in my control arms. I have the cam bolts turned out to get the max amount of caster and it's just barely to 6° so what I was wondering is maybe I can get lower adjustable control arms to help with caster and the wobble. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've spent a ton so far and am not looking to spend a lot.

• After getting a extra set of hands I was able to see the tie rod end at the pitman arm is wore out. I've picked up a new one today and hopefully will have it on the road tonight! Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!