Control arm bushings

• How much of a bitch is it to do front control arm bushings on a 97 TJ? I have watched some You Tube videos and I see all different kinds of ways to do it from torches to chisels. From what I see the ones on the axle are the hardest.

• Use an oxy/actyl torch to burn out the busing. Map gas may work too. Then gently use a sawzall or remove the metal sleeve that was left. Then press the new bushing in. Its miserable. Replacement control arms with bushings aren't terribly expensive from the parts store so that just leaves the two in the diff housing. I did a drivers side one in my driveway once and couldn't get to the passenger. A lift may help but really need to remove shock and spring to make it work better. Even then, MISERABLE!!!

• Great. I have a lift at my house. Definitely gonna get the new control arms but was afraid of the 2 on top of the housing. Hmmm, maybe I'll wait till the banging gets worse. Lol

• Once I get them out I will give it a try with the hammer. I actually saw a YouTube video where guy filed the inside some and it pretty much slid right in. If the hammer does not work I will get a ball joint installer from Harbor Freight.
    Couple questions:
    Why do people buy adjustable control arms?
    I have a 2" or 2.5" spacer lift, Stock control arms ok?
    Do I need an alignment after the install?
    Does Quadratec offer any Black Friday discounts on orders?

• How much of a bitch is it to do front control arm bushings on a 97 TJ? I have watched some You Tube videos and I see all different kinds of ways to do it from torches to chisels. From what I see the ones on the axle are the hardest.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

True but your original post just mentioned control arms. Seemed like axle bushings were an after thought.

Axle bushings were not an after thought, and were mentioned. I got plenty of hammers, chisels, and the blue tipped wrench. Gonna give it a try over the holidays. If I get struck I will see if someone will help me.

• LOL No problem. Hey!! I got beer and I'm fat which means I have plenty of food.......Come on over when I do it. LOL. Your seasoned at bushings. I got a lift so we wont be on the ground

• adjustable control arms are so you can set the pinion angle. when you lift the jeep and don't rotate the axle, the pinion doesn't point to the t-case anymore and if the angle between the pinion and the drive shaft is too great, you will get vibes and fast wear on u-joints.

• adjustable control arms are so you can set the pinion angle. when you lift the jeep and don't rotate the axle, the pinion doesn't point to the t-case anymore and if the angle between the pinion and the drive shaft is too great, you will get vibes and fast wear on u-joints.

Should I be ok with stock arms seeing I have a 2" spacer lift? Will I need an alignment after doing the control arms?

• Should I be ok with stock arms seeing I have a 2" spacer lift? Will I need an alignment after doing the control arms?

you should be fine. usually 3 inches is where people start needing to mess with driveline angles. i had no problem back when i went a 2 inch lift. there isn't anything to align other than toe on the front of a TJ w/o adjustable arms, so i would say no

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!