Xj electrical problem

• My girlfriend has an 01 xj and I think it has a bad ground somewhere but I'm not sure where to start. Here's what's been going on...

When she bought it there was an issue with the rear wiper fluid pump coming on when the headlights were on. My fix was unplugging the pump. Now the problem is that both the front marker light (both bulbs) and the tail light on the driver side are inop. I replaced the bulbs and it didn't fix the problem. I'm not sure where I should start looking. I assume it has to be somewhere that both of these lights share power or ground. Any ideas?

• Check the connectors and fuses under the hood near the firewall.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Deadfeat I checked fuses when it was having the problem with the wiper fluid but I have not checked again since this marker/tail light problem came up so I'll do that. I hope it's something dumb. Electrical problems are not where I'm at my best that's for sure

• Likely the rear wiper switch has failed. Turning the headlights on feeds power to the switch to illuminate it and the contacts have fused together.

the switch does seem to not "click" between the on and off positions. I'll replace the switch and see if that fixes it. The new problem with the lights is more concerning than that though

• Sounds like the short is in the column somewhere. That's the only thing I can think of that links the windshield washer, the head lights (through the high beam switch on the column) and the marker lights.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Sounds like the short is in the column somewhere. That's the only thing I can think of that links the windshield washer, the head lights (through the high beam switch on the column) and the marker lights.

He is having an issue with the rear wiper which is a switch on the dash in an XJ.

• I thought it might be on the combination switch that has the turn signals, front wiper, rear wiper, and whatever else they can fit on there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yea the rear wiper switch is on the dash but that doesn't explain the problem with the lights. I guess I'll have to go into the steering column. Should be fun

If it were me, I wouldn't waste the time and trouble of tearing into the steering column before at least trying shadyluke's suggestion. It may seem an odd solution, but if you think about it, what he said makes total sense:

Likely the rear wiper switch has failed. Turning the headlights on feeds power to the switch to illuminate it and the contacts have fused together.

It's quite simple to do and definitely worth trying.

And if you try it, you have nothing to lose. I think my switch is bad, so if you buy a new one and it doesn't solve the problem, I'll buy it from you (if you don't spend more than $20 for it. :tsk: https://www.summitracing.com/p…JK27I3LhdICFUiHswodV5oBpg )

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!