Looking to Beef-Up the Rear Axel

• I currently have a Dana 35 (4.10 gears) in the rear of my jeep and am looking to get something stronger. I have heard the Dana 30 in the front will be fine with 33s but the rear is way more questionable. I am not extremely financially gifted but I worked all summer and have some money to toss around. I also have friends with mild welding experience. Any advice?

• Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. I have one in my CJ from East Coast Gear Supply. Stafford has one under his TJ. There's an article in Jp Magazine on 8.8s for a TJ -- YJs are the same width -- that gives all the info if you want to find a junkyard axle. You might even find one with 4.10s, open or limited slip. They're easily good for 35s, even 37s for the ECGS version.

• your only other easier option is a d44 from an 87-89 xj. They r hard to find now a days but still around. U can also cut the mounts of a tj d44 too but they r a litle pricy. Remember what ever u do u have to match the gear ratio in the front axle. Also the drveshaft length will have to be changed. Do u have an sye for the tcase yet?

• The Ford 8.8 is a great option. Find one from an explorer with the correct gear ratio and disk brakes. They are common and very affordable. The disk brake ones from a 98 or newer will also net you 31 spline axles and probably a limited slip differential. I had one in my YJ years ago and it did great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!