3.07 to 4.10 gears

• I purchased my 1998 Jeep TJ last fall 4.0 L running 30 inch tires. Mostly a daily driver with one Rausch Creek trip. I am going with a 2.5” lift soon. The biggest issue the Jeep has is the 3.07 gears and is not very powerful. I would like to upgrade to 4.10 gears and 32” tires but regearing and purchasing new carriers for the d30 & d35 is out of my price range. (Of course if I’m doing that I would throw in a locker too). Suggestions on how to upgrade while keeping cost down?

• Best thing in my opinion would be to swap both axles out with something geared where you want it.

That way you'd upgrade from the Dana 35 as well. 8.8 from a Ford is very desirable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I run 35s with 4:10s . On a 4.0l Auto. It's not ideal, but it's pretty good on the street, and does fine for trails. You should go with 33s.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Best thing in my opinion would be to swap both axles out with something geared where you want it.

That way you'd upgrade from the Dana 35 as well. 8.8 from a Ford is very desirable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is what I did, don't spend the money to regear a 35. 8.8's can be found for $200 and up with 4.10's. There's other costs including labor, brackets, driveshaft but you're left with a much much stronger setup for a comparable price to regearing.

• Axle swap from a 4 cylinder?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Possible, if you can find a set (IIRC only the manual trans models came with 4.10's) but you still have the general concerns about the D35. I've got the setup you're talking about and have run it with 33s for quite a while, but I'll be looking for an 8.8 soon.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!