pinion nut size

• CJ's and early Scouts use a 1 1/8". They typically have to be put on super tight.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Whoa with the "super tight" The pinion nut is what sets the pinion bearing preload, which is usually in inch pounds, you tighten the nut, measure the torque required to turn the yoke, then go a little tighter till you get it right. if you go too far, youve gotta take it all back apart, replace the crush sleeve, and start over. The Cheaters way to do it is to mark the relationship between the nut and the pinion shaft, count the number of threads showing, take it apart, replace the seal, then put it all back together, putting the nut back on in the exact same spot, maybe a pinch tighter since its a used bearing, and go with it. That is assuming of course youre only going in to replace the seal. If youre doing gears from scratch, throw out everything I just said. But it would help anyone else replacing a pinion seal.

• joe,
    i have an 1 1/8" socket at my house too. i'll be home this evening and for the rest of the week ('cept for while working). let me know if you want to take it for a bit...i can stash it outside somewhere for you. let me know.
    chris

• Thanks
    I think I'll just go and buy one.
    I'll need it to remove the yokes on the NP208
    I'm not going to pull the nut off a pinion.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!