Custom Exhaust Question?

• Just curious about how difficult it would be for a muffler shop to fab a custom exhaust for my CJ-7's 304 V8 w/stock manifolds? I currently have the stock y-pipe but with my new setup (TH400 - Dana 300) the stock exhaust does not fit around the transmission pan and leaves no clearance for the driveshaft. I was hoping a shop could fab dual pipes that run to rear of the vehicle. Is this doable? Thanks.

• I'm sure it's doable. I've seen dual set ups before. Can't you just run them straight back?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i have seen this setup it sounds really good and looks different cool but diffferent.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• One of the problems you get with dual pipes and no crossover is that the moter doesn't have a well balanced exhaust. This can actaully hurt proformance. Also, be aware that your fuel and brake lines run alond the one fraim rail and the heat can cause some problems.

If you want the exhaust done I would go to Bear Muffler Masters on Rt. 40. They do good custom work at decent prices.

• Thanks fellas.
    Aaron, I bet your saying, "he still hasn't got that heap running?!" Well, with the move, new house, job and all I just haven't been motivated enough to work on it. I am actually really close to selling the whole thing off but I figured I'd give it one more shot to get it finished.

Your right about the fuel and brake lines but funny thing is on the CJ-7 the exhaust already runs along the same frame rail as both the brake and fuel lines, go figure.

How far along Rte 40 is that place? I'd be coming from Atlantic City.

• The shop is about a mile south of the RT-40/RT-13 split. If you are thring to find it on a map just go south from the where RT-40 crosses into I-295. I forgot you are in AC. You might want to see if there is a custom shop around you. You might want to ask around.

• Couldn't you balance the exhaust pressures by running a tubing line from one side to the other? You'd have to buy two catalytic converters anyway and they typically have a port for a smog pump to hook up to. Instead of hooking it up to the smog pump (provided your Jeep doesn't require one) you could hook the cats up to each other. That should balance out the exhaust pressures on either side of the engine shouldn't it?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yes a cross over pipe would ballance the engine, but he was talking about removing the cross over and running two pipes.

BTW, he probably does not need cats for the '79. I know our '78 was cat exempt. You just need the OEM sticker from Collins Bro's to satisfy the DMV.

• Well I don't currently run cats and don't plan to. I guess if I need to balance the exhaust I'll have to find a place to run a crossover. I did see a write-up once where they ran the exhaust up forward of the oil pan and then back in order to clear the driveshaft. I just seemed like that many bends would be awfully restrictive. I'm gonna look for some local muffler shops and see if they can come up with something. Thanks.

• I'm pretty sure a '79 needs a cat. I never liked running the pipe in front of the oil pan drop section because it makes it harder to remove the oil pan. I guess it does help heat the oil up in the winter time though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

I'm pretty sure a '79 needs a cat. I never liked running the pipe in front of the oil pan drop section because it makes it harder to remove the oil pan. I guess it does help heat the oil up in the winter time though.

Well it's actually a '77 (not sure where '79 came from) but even so I do believe my original grille emissions sticker stated it had a cat, but since I am legal resident of Alaska, and as long as I remain on Active Duty, I don't need to pass emissions. So until I retire I don't plan on running cats. As for the exhaust routing, I guess I'll look for a local muffler shop and see what they can come up with. Thanks again all.

• You dont really need a cross over pipe. It does balance the exhaust flow and gives it a smoother sound but it definately isnt necessary. I run dual 2.5" pipes on my cutlass and have no problems. I have read numerous articles on the topic and they only pick up a couple of horsepower. When i had my exhaust done the convenience of pulling the trans without dropping the exhaust outwieghed the little bit of horsepower and smoother sound that the crossover provided. Just my 2 cents

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!