Rocker Knockers

• Well I got in my Rocker Knockers today from Poison Spyder and I am not pleased with the welds they did on the slider bars. They really need smoothed out before paint. Does anyone have any idea what to use to sand down steel welds. I have a grinder but I think it may make it worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian :peace:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Quote from "BDLSTOY"

Well I got in my Rocker Knockers today from Poison Spyder and I am not pleased with the welds they did on the slider bars. They really need smoothed out before paint. Does anyone have any idea what to use to sand down steel welds. I have a grinder but I think it may make it worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Hmm, that's surprising. I've seen a couple sets of them in person (including my own) and haven't seen any bad welds. The grinder is gonna be your best bet for cleaning it up.

• I wouldnt grind the welds if you dont know what you are doing. the strongest welds are full welds they are meant to be strong not pretty....

• I don't have any way to post pics. (No Digital camera) When they started welding they started from the top and worked around the bar back to the top. Then the weld sort of lays on top of the original weld. Hard to explain but it would look better if they were smoothed out. Would a wire wheel swirl the metal to much for the paint to cover :question: .
    Thanks
    Brian

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• The only way to knock the weld down is to grind it off, or use a hand file. Depending on the metal, the hand file could take a while.

I wouldn't worry about them not looking "perfect". They are made to be bashed up against the rocks. Wait until you see what the rocks will do to the undesides.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I beilve they over lap the welds to eleveate teh problems with cold starrts which cause a weak spot in the weld if you overlap a little and reweld the cold start area that would make it stronger in my opion... again leave it alone unless they are strictly fro looks and you dont plan on using them....

• Quote from "BDLSTOY"

Well I got in my Rocker Knockers today from Poison Spyder and I am not pleased with the welds they did on the slider bars. They really need smoothed out before paint. Does anyone have any idea what to use to sand down steel welds. I have a grinder but I think it may make it worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

One of the abrasive flap wheels for your grinder would be perfect...but like some others have said a pretty weld is not always a strong one and vice versa. I started welding a few years ago and have found through firsthand experience that you can get a nice look but have squat for penetration. If it's that bad that it really bothers you I'd suggest a call to Poison Spyder...if they don't know you aren't happy they can't fix it!

--Ian

• I have the same PSC Rocker Knockers. I painted mine black and have never even thought twice about the welds until you mentioned them. Instead of starting mine at the top (twelve o'clock) they started mine at the side (three o'clock). So the overlap kind of blends in.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!