Holly Oak 4X4 is Awesome

• Brian Casper and crew (not sure of all their names) are building me a rear swing out tire carrier, bumper and cooler rack for the back of my TJ. I stopped in tonight to see how its going and its going to rock. I can't wait to get it all done and take some pics. Its got a place for my highlift, 2 D ring shackles, a 2" reciever and hes also making a cooler rack for on top of it. We talked about it tonight and he's also going to put 2 white LED lights in it for back up lights and then put the led tail lights in my corners like Blue J.

One question I have is what to do about the light for the license plate. Any ideas? Also do you guys like the 4" round leds (like Blue J) or 2 horizontal ovals (like Ian's) Just looking for opinions and likes or dislikes. I haven't decide which way to go yet.

Once I get it all done I'll take some pics and post them.

Let me know your thoughts

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I'v got a couple things Id like brian to do but I'v got to get some money together, a rear bumper/tire carrier for my XJ would be awesome but I'm scared to think how much that would run...I also wana get my lower shock mounts on my rear 8.25 axle moved up onto the tube Instead of hanging below vulnerable to rocks...

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• Quote from "jwalk"

I think you should go with the 4" rounds :suspicious:

Also, license plate lights are over rated, but that's just my dumb opinion.

Jason

and you say that coming from Newark...you saying that they are over rated as in having them....or you can see them as it is....?

• hey brian i got a set of the 4" round off of ebay. they have 61 led's in em. i think a few people here did the license plate lites.. that is what i was going to look into whenever i get the courage to cut into my jeep.

• Quote from "joo"

and you say that coming from Newark...you saying that they are over rated as in having them....or you can see them as it is....?

I just haven't come up a with a solution I would be happy with. Yes, I am in Newark and have not had an issue.

Jason

• Quote from "jwalk"

I just haven't come up a with a solution I would be happy with. Yes, I am in Newark and have not had an issue.

Hey Jason

Are they required for inspection or no? I was never really sure. I don't remember the guy saying "blink your license plate light on and off", but you never know what they're going to check.

• Quote from "wanderlust"

Hey Jason

Are they required for inspection or no? I was never really sure. I don't remember the guy saying "blink your license plate light on and off", but you never know what they're going to check.

Yes, license plate lights are required for inspection and are checked for. I was issued a warning in my MJ a couple years ago in Newark for not having them (right when I installed my new bumper) but, knock on wood, have not been bothered in my TJ.

AEV and others make some decent LED license plate bracket/lights but I like my license plate mounted directly on the corner out of harms way. I ordered one of these: http://www.innovativelight.com…ategoryid=53&productid=50

It mounts and should provide sufficient light to be legal...

--Ian

• Maybe I'm a little dense, but what's the problem with the license plate light? Does the plate have to be relocated to fit the bumper/carrier?

• it's kinda hard to see the license plate with a big tire in the way. I think that's the most common reason to move the plate. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong about that, though. :D

the wiring doesn't move, so you need to invent new lights when you move the plate.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• i think the problem with the license plate light is mainly related to sinking the lights with round or oval LED lamps. once that is done then there is no provision for illuminating the license plate - which is where the law comes into play.
    chris

• Yeah, what Chris just said. The stock driver's side taillight (on TJ's anyway) lights up the plate just beneath it. When flush mount LED's are put it, that light is gone.

• i was playing with new brians bumper earlier today. its looking pretty nice. the thing is heavy. no way your carrier is ever going to sag.
    we only took your jeep for a short ride. aaron said he will pay the ticket, and dont worry, it will buff right out. we showed that honda who's boss.
    :grin:

Caspers new welder is real nice. i welded 2 pieces of 1" plate together and it was buring in more than 1/4". and it was only turned up just under 2/3 of the way. we turned it almost all the way and the bead was even with the top of the metal. its was burning in almost 1/2" it is by far the best mig i have ever used. the weld was actually too bright for the auto dark helmet.

they have alot of nice toys there, and to make it worse, the snap-on guy showed up to hang out for a while. :doh:

• Quote from "joo"

After I get the lift on, I want to get a bumper like the Body Armor bumpers....

I'm gonna guess they can probably make one for me....

Brian and Craig can make you anything. just ask.

• So if I wanted to put a BIG Star of David on the Rear Tire Carrier encasing the rear tire...they would do that for me? YES!

Maybe I'll do a hood emblem...a star of david...

I know I'm sick... :repuke:

• Quote from "bmf24"

i was playing with new brians bumper earlier today. its looking pretty nice. the thing is heavy. no way your carrier is ever going to sag.
    we only took your jeep for a short ride. aaron said he will pay the ticket, and dont worry, it will buff right out. we showed that honda who's boss.
    :grin:

:laughing: :laughing:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!