"Are you gonna get tow hooks NOW?!"

• So I get this phone call while I'm finished up showing a house. It 's our good friend....

He says I need a rescue. So I leave the showing and tell my client that I will meet with her later tonight to write an offer. I fly down from Newark to Middletown to change clothes....

So I end up out in Chespeake City yanking out this yellow XJ, that has NOT A SINGLE TOW HOOK.....end up connecting a nylon rope to a leaf spriing.....MAN WAS HE IN THAT PUDDLE!....

well, now for full details you have to wait to see these pictures.....

What do red clay staining your hands, getting mud everywhere in your jeep, and the stranded getting a gallone or more of water in their jeep have to do with?? Pulling whatevah out.

:updown:

• Jerry was where? Doing what? Without tow hooks? Details whatevah!!!!! :question:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• you didn't tell me you were showing a house until after I was on dry land... lol

anywho, the story... I was in the wildlife area on the north Maryland side of the canal because that's where my brother planted a practice distress beacon for a practice search mission today. After all the planes finished tracking it, we started packing up and my brother laughed at the ammount of mud on my tires (I had driven across some mud to get to a hill for some photos) so I went over to a puddle to clean them off. There only appeared to be a few inches of water in it. Well... "it was deeper than it looked". I got caught on my rear diff with my rear left tire on ground and the right rear spinning. Both front tires were spinning (*sigh*) and using the e-brake didn't do any good. So, I started calling the people I knew in the area... XJ99's Jeep was at Holly Oak getting a locker installed, so I called Joo. One hour, 45 minutes (and a couple tow straps) later, I was finally back onto dry land. I never stopped the engine since the exhaust pipe was under water, definately did NOT want to hydrolock a 4 year old engine. The intake was fine, I checked it after I got home to see if any water had gotten into it.

Damage...
    - Ego
    - plastic air dam got knocked loose a little, should be easy to knock back into place.
    - a gallon of water on the passenger side floor (measured close to 2 feet deep on that side of the puddle, the water got in when I was pulled out)

uploading pix now... done. http://gallery.jerryhorn.com/oops/

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Edited once, last by ().

• we both are. he and another guy were in that white bronco. it has a hitch, but no straps or any kind of recovery gear. I was only carrying boards and stuff for my NJ trip in the sand.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Wow - I think you just became the poster child of the "Be sure to check how deep the water is before you cross" rule on treadlightly. In your defense had I been out playing and saw that little puddle I too would have driven right through it without a second thought.

• sorry again I couldnt be of any help Jerry, I'm glad everything turned out alright for you and Joo came through with the recovery, also glad you didnt wait around for me to get me Jeep back tonight, Brian and Craig finished my locker but when going to put my new BTF cover on I forgot to Include new differential cover bolts and the old stock ones were not compatible to the new cover, so I have to wait til tomorow anyway so they can run out and get some from the hardware store!

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• Quote from "joo"

So I end up out in Chespeake City yanking out this yellow XJ

He needs them for a cherokee (XJ), brackets and hooks, so If your refering to the ones in your for sale ad, the 04 wrangler hooks do him no good....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…53QQitemZ8015754780QQrdZ1

Jerry, I'd look on ebay or go to uhaul for at least a hitch, If not some front tow hooks and brackets If you can swing the money, also Rusty's has a good $75 price on some brackets and hooks, pretty stout as well

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• also I have a guy at four acres trailer sales... he can put a hitch on for you too.

uhaul is good to...

you can do it yourself...order it from q-tec or 4wd (10% discount!) and get it done.

the question still remains - you gonna get tow hooks?

• of course :-p hooks in the front and a hitch in the back with one of those shackle plugin things.

I don't know much about the ratings of hitches and such, the one in the auction XJ99 linked to, is that strong enough to pull me out of a mud hole, or to pull somebody else out? Given the physics involved, my 2 ton Jeep being pulled uphill, through mud... that's gotta be at least 7000lbs of pulling strength and that hitch is rated for 3500lbs. Or is that stress mostly absorbed by the tow straps?

Jerry / Whatevah

• that 3500lbs is rated for you pulling a trailer or something behind you...your not gonna find much more then that, thats a class III hitch, the cherokee's tow rating is no more then 5,000lbs at the max... that hitch is nice but Im sure the price will Jump by the end of auction, plus Its about $40 for shipping...

• well, basically, will a class III hitch be strong enough to handle the stress of pulling a cherokee out? I mean, my vehicle weighs more than 3500lbs.

oh, a Class II is 3500, Class III is 7500lbs. I guess that oughta do. :D

Jerry / Whatevah

Edited once, last by ().

• Quote from "whatevah"

well, basically, will a class III hitch be strong enough to handle the stress of pulling a cherokee out? I mean, my vehicle weighs more than 3500lbs.

maybe a better question... have you ever pulled anybody out using your hitch, or been pulled out by somebody attached to your hitch?

the 96 xj i had had no problems pulling out or getting pulled with a class three hitch

• well, I think it's about back to normal now... hehe spent a couple hours scraping (and hosing) mud, clay and rocks off of the undercarriage. that stuff is sticky! I probably scraped off close to a cubic foot of mud. Sure are a lot of places to catch mud under there. :D

then, I washed it and hosed off the engine compartment and the undercarriage the best I could without ramps to prop it up.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!