"High Alloy" vs. Super Chromoly

• Imagine this is a comic book battle between Superior-man "High Alloy" and his twin brother Superior-man "Super30 Chromoly", for the title of strongest axleshaft for the Dana 30 world. Who would win?

Are these really different things, or are they both actually the same thing with different names?

It seems like Superior is the only name (other than OEM) in D30 axle shafts, but I'm confused by these descriptions. Q'tec and Redrock4x4.com have Superior's "Evolution Series Super Alloy", although Redrock also calls it a Chromoly axle. dimensionoffroad.com has Superior's "High Alloy" and calls it the strongest available, but it's less expensive than the others by $100. Trailquest.com says they have Superior's "Super30 Chromoly", but no mention of Evolution Series...

Any info would help, I'm hoping to call in an order somewhere on Monday morning...

Thanks,
    Andrew

• What you need to ask the sales man is "What grade steel are the shafts made out of?" There are even several grades of chrome molly. It has to do with the carbon content of the steel. I think Warn stuff is 4043 or 4340, I forget which way it is. Superior only makes one grade of shafts. They have a specific way they make the splines. To my knowledge Superior is the only company producing outer stub shafts for stock TJ/YJ hubs. Also, the Super 30 may reffer to their 30 spline inner shafts. They are same as d44 shafts, but you need a different carrier and locker. You just want to get the higher grade steel replacement shafts for a d30.

As far as your locker goes... The pins and springs are only $15 and will be a whole lot easier to change then pulling your carrier and ring gear to change out the entire locker.

If you need a 36mm socket you can borrow mine. I might be at the beach tomorrow night, but give me a call.

• Aaron, do you still have that easy locker from the chevy 10 bolt I gave you to sell on e-bay? If the springs and what not for that fit his locker her could just use them. I had bought brand new springs and pins for that locker.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I am not sure if I gave that away ot not??? I'll have to look. If the springs and pins are the same Andrew can have them.

• Well, I ordered the new locker (Aussie locker) anyway. If all it will take to repair the LockRight is springs and pins, I'll offer it for sale cheap (this is the one I got from you Aaron).

I may want to borrow your 36mm socket, Aaron, I'm planning to start playing on Saturday. I may just buy one myself anyway, though, I'm trying to build up my tool inventory.

Looks like I may bring the carrier and new locker to Turtle's on Sunday (gavan and bmf24 will be there) for help removing and re-installing the ring gear while swapping the lockers. Then I'll try to re-install everything in my driveway.

• Quote from "turtle"

I will buy the lock-right off of you if that is all that is wrong with it.

I'll trade it for the two control arm skids with installation...

• You installing the locker into Turtles Jeep or him installing the skids on your Jeep? CLARIFY, CLARIFY!!! :updown:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Got the Aussie locker yesterday, and the axle shafts came today. I'll definitely be working on the jeep this weekend, even if the new diff cover doesn't show up yet.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!