the canal

• I took my brother out yesterday to place a geocache and parked on the side of an access road next to two beat-up trails. one had some good-sized puddles going through it, the other went up a hill and was half-eroded. my brother started walking down the flooded trail and then a Durango pulled up next to my XJ. its driver was a ranger. :)

we talked a little bit and he said that I wasn't allowed to drive down either of those two trails (I hadn't, my brother was walking down the one), and he said that "If the judge can't drive his Mercedes on it, neither can you." basically, if they maintain the road (flat and non-rutted) then it's legal. if you do something illegal, it's $25 (minimum) ticket, plus $45 court costs, plus an additional "destruction of wildlife habitat" (or something like that) fine if the ranger feels necessary.

the ranger said that some of the old access roads they closed used to have jersey barriers, but some guys in trucks hooked up chains to them and dragged them away so they could drive out to their hunting spots. now, people use those trails for illegal wheeling and dumping trash.

now, speaking of trash... I've been seeing a lot of trash out there (even saw a YJ hard top). when's the next canal cleanup? :) (that question was the main point of this post, but I got carried away with my story, sorry)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• he forgot to mention i was there :safeyet

he's not playing either. those durangos are sneaking, fully unmarked, with lots of LED's....and he was very nice to us...but if you are illegally wheeling there, be prepared to pay a fine.

if you do decide to be stupid and get stuck there, don't hesitiate to call me 463 5800, I live right down the road from the canal, and have easy access to the north and south side....but be warned, if I see a ranger I might have to let him know so I don't get a ticket that I am here to give you a tug......

also, i think as it gets warmer we should defintiely do a canal cleanup...I'm going to do some more crusiing around that area and discovering, but Jerry and I had a good idea of where a bunch of trash is, (and Im sure the rangers do too)

• haha that's funny, my buddy works for fish & wildlife down there...he said they sneak up on people wheeling all the time, plain black durango with flip down visor led's and what not...His Job must so much fun....

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• I was down there last year driving on some trails, I dont know if I was doing anything illegal but a few of them were definitly 4x4 only type. I did see a durango but he drove right by me.

• As with most of these type of post

We need to repeat the official DeJA policy concerning the Canal

Other than driving on the legal access roads,
    Off road driving at the canal is illegal. period.
    DeJA does not and will not endorse illegal wheeling.
    If you are going to be in this area please remove all
    DeJA magnets or stickers from you jeep.

Sorry to sound harsh but illegal wheeling in that area is giving
    us and all off pavement driving a bad image.

We do the clean-up to try and do something so we can give something back to the local community and try to improve our image.

• Quote from "XJ99"

haha that's funny, my buddy works for fish & wildlife down there...he said they sneak up on people wheeling all the time, plain black durango with flip down visor led's and what not...His Job must so much fun....

I would love to do it, but not in that durango...

• From what I was told by the Project Manager that we coordinate the clean ups with, the ONLY legal driving there is on any flat gravel surface. Mainly the access roads running right beside the water, that people use to get to the fishing spots (and dumping spots :upset: )

I'll check with the BOD, and get in touch with the C&D Project Office and see if we can't get another clean up scheduled.

Paul

• Quote from "joo"

I would love to do it, but not in that durango...

I would do It to, he actually tried recruiting me, but the pay aint all tht pretty...as compared to county or state pd

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• why do you guys even mess with that place and why...just curious are you cleaning it. thats what all of their fines should go for. what about cleaning up on the trails we actually use.....

• Quote from "BUFFUMCHEROKEE"

why do you guys even mess with that place and why...just curious are you cleaning it. thats what all of their fines should go for. what about cleaning up on the trails we actually use.....

search on Canal Cleanup.

places we actually use, like paragon or rc, if I see trash there I pick it up...just something I do, and I am sure other people do the same.

I'll let someone else chime in who has particiapted in the event (it occured right before I joined)

• Quote from "wanderlust"

From what I was told by the Project Manager that we coordinate the clean ups with, the ONLY legal driving there is on any flat gravel surface. Mainly the access roads running right beside the water, that people use to get to the fishing spots (and dumping spots :upset: )

I'll check with the BOD, and get in touch with the C&D Project Office and see if we can't get another clean up scheduled.

Paul

thanks!

I know enough spots to probably fill up one of those semi-trailors with junk and not get it alll. I go down there a bit for photography and relaxing. pretty peaceful, most of the time. Josh and I were thinking about focusing on the area north of the canal between the Rt 1 bridge and the train tracks. there's a bunch of stuff by the tracks, looks like remains of a bunch of window A/C units. :shrug:

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Quote from "joo"

send him my way.... :hmm:

They may have some seasonal spots open at denrec but you still gota to have a pretty good handle on the law (I.E. delaware code book, and search and seizure laws), give It a shot and apply

If your talking full-time you got to apply then go through delaware state police academy

• Quote from "BUFFUMCHEROKEE"

why do you guys even mess with that place and why...just curious are you cleaning it. thats what all of their fines should go for. what about cleaning up on the trails we actually use.....

We started the Canal Clean Up as (BBD said) a way to give back to the community and try to promote a good image of off roaders to the general public. It is our "Adopt a Highway" program but since we like off roading we felt the Canal would be more suited for the club.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "whatevah"

a Durango pulled up next to my XJ. its driver was a ranger. :)

:hmm: My guess is they will be more "out in force" for a while in light of the 200 or more dead ducks and geese that were found a week ago.
    :upset:
    Did you guys see that in the paper?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

:hmm: My guess is they will be more "out in force" for a while in light of the 200 or more dead ducks and geese that were found a week ago.
    :upset:
    Did you guys see that in the paper?

The problem is they only have like I wanna say 7 full-time people to patrol all 3 counties above and below the canal...That Job's alot of driving, If their below the canal handling some Illegal wheelers and they get a call for someone Jumping at the bridge, you know It takes them atleast 30+ minutes to responde...but I guess that's why theres other police and radios

• I drove buy the entrance off of Frazer road yesterday (dest was not the canal) and it was gated w/ a ranger parked out on the street side... not sure what was up, but I got the impression the canal was CLOSED.

• they'll open and close the gates every day... sometimes not exactly at dawn and dusk. some days, they won't even open all of the gates. not sure where Frazer road is, but I can only think of 2 or 3 gates, and they're on the MD side.

the canal is the beach for northern folks. a quiet place to go fishing and do a little hiking. once it warms up, though... I'm doing the 2 hour drive to the beach :) better scenery there :innocent:

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!