• Welp, we got another Jeep - this one was given to us by my father-in-law. 1987 Cherokee Chief, 218k miles, auto, a/c, and tow package. Drove it back from Pennsylvania last night and was surprised at how strong the motor pulls. We aren't sure what we'll be doing with it but both of us realize we can't leave things well enough alone. I may gut the suspension and replace with all new OEM parts and see just how smooth of a ride it'll be going to work every day. Anyone have some stock tires with very good tread? I'm thinking 215/75r15 street tires would be perfect. The rust spots may have to be looked at too...but at least none are through the panels.

• great jeep my i sold my 87 with 275k and it still was driving strong.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• Was the Chief package just a trim package or was there more of a performance package as well?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• What Bolt pattern do you need for the tires? I have 5 Tires/Wheels off my JK with a 5x5 bolt pattern. There stock tires on a 17in rim. Tires are about 32in with 12,000 miles on them.

• Was the Chief package just a trim package or was there more of a performance package as well?

I know it has a tow package and a D44 in the rear. I believe it was considered the sporty "workhorse" model.

That's great! I can remember Icky talking about the Chief years ago!

:) The Chief is my original Jeep LOVE! My dad bought it in '92 and drove it until '98 when I turned 16 and took it over for a couple of years. It wasn't my dream vehicle at first, but I grew to love it more than anything! When I went to college, I handed the keys back over to my dad and got my TJ during my sophomore year. He's driven The Chief ever since. It wasn't until recently that he started looking around for something a little newer and we surprised him with a 2001 XJ. Now The Chief is all ours! ;D

• What Bolt pattern do you need for the tires? I have 5 Tires/Wheels off my JK with a 5x5 bolt pattern. There stock tires on a 17in rim. Tires are about 32in with 12,000 miles on them.

Cherokees, and the YJ/TJ Wranglers, all use the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Stock tires for the Cherokees were 27-28" tall and on 15" wheels. To fit 32" tires, that Jeep would need a 5" lift and still trim the fenders.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

There were no performance packages for Cherokees, just trim packages. Or any Jeep after 1987, except for the 1998 ZJ Limited with the 5.9L V8 and the SRT8. There was an offroad package, the "Up Country" package for Cherokees added stiffer 1" lift springs, skid plates, and removed the rear swaybar.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!