TJ Exhaust Options

• For whatever reason my muffler is split wide open.

This is causing lots of exhaust fumes in the Jeep.

Figure I might as well replace from the cat back.

Not looking for any rumble or an additional 30 HP.

Would be nice if I could just bolt it on myself.

Anyone done this, have suggestions?

Might consider a S/S option if there's one available.

• Might be good to see if you can tuck the exhaust up higher and perhaps have it run out the side.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I think Banks has the cheapest stainless catback kit. It's bolt-on, too. http://www.quadratec.com/products/17603_602%2007.htm others here: http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-…-exhaust/tj-exhaust.php#5

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Wonder what makes the Borla system worth more $$ ?

It says Borla and its shiney so Stupid Jeep owners think its awsome.... :innocent:

Just saying.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Borla does list a "million mile warranty", no idea what that really means.

It means that if you put over a million miles on the exhaust system, they won't replace it if it grows a hole. As much as you drive your Jeep, you should be ok for a while.
    OR
    Marketing 101:
    "Million miles" must have sounded cooler than "Lifetime".

This is total web wheeling but I've heard good things about Magnaflow. From the link Jerry posted, they look expensive though.

• The Banks description gives me more of a woody:

"These systems are made of T409 Stainless Steel and include muffler, tailpipe, clamps and exhaust tip.Huge 2.5” stainless mandrel-bent tailpipe with a polished tip. Straight-thru Monster muffler flows up to 140% better than stock. Slashes backpressure; throaty sound."

Huge, polished tip, and throaty". ;D

• 56K and my muffler is shot.

Patti has 150K on hers and it's fine. :shrug:

I meant before you get to a million miles. ;)

Did you do a lot of short trips? Condensation maybe? I remember when muffler shops were everywhere. Stainless put them out.

Sucks because I had to replace my exhaust from the cat back when I went to a long arm. It went in the scrap. Wish I had thought to keep it. :(

• I had a Borla that I bought used. Worked fine and sounded good! Was bolt on too if I remember right! Never had any problems with it but probably wouldn't have spent the money for new!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I was going to mention looking into the Rusty's offroad option.. I have this same setup for my XJ and love it, and I know of two folks that used to be stationed here at Dover that had it on their TJ's and they liked it..

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!!

• I have a Rustys/Flowmaster kit on my XJ but it's not stainless. The pipe isn't even mandrel bent, and I think it was only "aluminized" aka coated and is pretty rusty after 3 years.

I think the Atlantic Ocean may have contributed to Keith's muffler rusting out...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Not really, I typically only drive it on long trips.

Id bet all the beach sand and salt air have something to do with it. Stainless or not, every one Ive ever seen has had "some" rust on it.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• From what I've seen, brine is way worse than driving on the sand.

After a day or two on the surf, the windshield and paint are covered with salt mist but the underside is clean.
    One day after the idiots brine the roads, everything under the Jeep is covered in salt.

• That's cause my Jeep is better than yours.............. :razz:

Sorry for the hyjack, now back to your regular posts

It really because Jeep gets it exhaust parts from multiple vendors, and the quality of steel used varies in from batch and vendor.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!