YouTube: Jeep Wrangler JK - Rubicon vs Sahara

• [youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

This is about the clearest demonstration of what lockers get you that I have ever seen.

• That is a great demonstration. Controlled throttle + good line + lockers = win. Sure keeps all that stress off the drivetrain. And making an obstacle look that easy makes the non-locked guys try even harder. I am surprised the one dude didn't roll or blow something up. Lol

• Really a great demonstration in the winning combo of great driver and great spotters! Thanks for the post...renews my faith especially after that last video with the '12 Rubi flying off a hill.

&quot;Always do sober what you said you&#039;d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.&quot;--Ernest Hemingway<br /><br />&quot;Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.&quot; ---Oscar Wilde

• The BLD on the non rubicons work well but they are not lockers. I am sure that with a combination of BLD and lockers you would have the best of both worlds. I have spun my tires and had the BLD kick in and I then am over the obstacle but I am sure is does add stress to the drivetrain. Lockers are on my list.

• The BLD on the non rubicons work well but they are not lockers. I am sure that with a combination of BLD and lockers you would have the best of both worlds. I have spun my tires and had the BLD kick in and I then am over the obstacle but I am sure is does add stress to the drivetrain. Lockers are on my list.

And there is a lot more stress running open and all of a sudden having one wheel get traction.

100% of the torque to that axle is suddenly transferred to the ground.

That's what breaks axle shafts.

• BLD?

BLD= Brake Lock Differential. It basically is a poor mans locker. I will explain

When in 4wd you could have the two tires spinning while the other tires are sitting still. If you then hit the brakes and clamp down on the spinning tires the differential will pass some power to the sitting tires and you will move again. BLD does this for you so you can just hit the gas an go. You will spin a little but you will get over what your attempting. Its not as good as a locker but it does help.

• BLD= Brake Lock Differential. It basically is a poor mans locker. I will explain

When in 4wd you could have the two tires spinning while the other tires are sitting still. If you then hit the brakes and clamp down on the spinning tires the differential will pass some power to the sitting tires and you will move again. BLD does this for you so you can just hit the gas an go. You will spin a little but you will get over what your attempting. Its not as good as a locker but it does help.

If you are talking about the ESP on the JK's I think it should all be automatic. You shouldn't have to apply the brakes to make it work.

• If you are talking about the ESP on the JK's I think it should all be automatic. You shouldn't have to apply the brakes to make it work.

ESP is not the same. BLD is part of the traction control. Check this site it will help http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?p=entry&id=270

Edit- and no you don't touch the brakes at all the BLD is automatic.

"Kilroy was here!" :kilroy:

Edited once, last by BlueLesPaul2006 ().

• Thankfully the article states it well. It's not a locker.

LSD's, ESP, BLD, etc. are not lockers. Many don't understand that on the trail.

• Thankfully the article states it well. It's not a locker.

LSD's, ESP, BLD, etc. are not lockers. Many don't understand that on the trail.

Does say this though: "A Jeep vehicle with BLD will negotiate almost any obstacle or driving situation that a similar vehicle with locking differential will."

• Does say this though: "A Jeep vehicle with BLD will negotiate almost any obstacle or driving situation that a similar vehicle with locking differential will."

I would say that is a stretch BLD does work well and I have found it to be a great tooll off road but I am sure that BLD will not get through everything a locker will. There is less control since your are spinning you wheels fast at times.

• And there is a lot more stress running open and all of a sudden having one wheel get traction.

100% of the torque to that axle is suddenly transferred to the ground.

That's what breaks axle shafts.

Ain't that the truth!

For those that we're around when this happened... Here is a good example of quickly changing from spinning to gripping and then snapping.

• The BLD works well when you have a wheel or 2 off the ground. It is about useless though when you need the traction of all 4 wheels to climb something. It just transfers the spinning wheel from side to side in that situation BTDT.

Brian I haven't see the f250 in a while when is the JK coming? :innocent:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!