J-Mans cheap xj build

• Ill probably end up needing a traction bar eventually. oh btw its gotta be better then no shocks

Thats what i was going to say. Some shocks are better than none....

You typed it just before I posted this. but ill post it anyway.

You should think about adding a traction bar kit and it should do the job of limiting the axle wrap and hop. I know xj springs are super flexy. something to contain that axle from twisting would be a good thing. Jeeps looking good, hopefully you get it right. summers on the way.

Cj-

• yea thats pretty much the story, and thanks

• Luke had pretty much claimed the traction bar before I posted it. It was more of a warning to come and get it before it gets sold. :mrgreen:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I did some more Ceciltucky ghetto fab work on my beater today. Im almost ready for my hydro assist install. Today I worked on beefing up my knuckles with a little double shear action. I know that technically i should shell out money on some high tech high steer for my balljoint 60s, but thats not what this build is about :mrgreen:

This is what I started with and btw works like shit, bolt ends up braking from the leverage.

I started with a big tab thanks to some old spring plates I had laying around.

Put some gussets from my pile of pieces on the floor

Driverside side

So Im not 100% sure on the end result of my steering yet. Im leaning toward the inverted T. Just welding some tabs to the tierod sound like the easiest way to go at this point.

more to come whether you like it or not :suspicious:

• I did some more super fly fabin this morning. After doing some research on pirate I found a guy that made what I was looking for. Due to clearance I needed to run my ram above the tierod. This is what I ended up with.

• I withdraw my previous Ceciltucky comment.....That turned out Bad Ass! The skull is a nice touch, almost looks like you paid for that cover. :up:

• Looks great, love the ballistic skull, what ram are you using? my ram works great but have had some issues with the stock steering pump keeping up...

Cj-

• Thanks, I could of spent more time with it and made it better. Im down with good enough :mrgreen:
    I got everything from 2000sahara, I think its just a surplus ram. Im using a stock box and pump and it has a little delay as well. I have everything hooked up except bolting the ram to the tierod. Ive been out there bleeding it over and over, and over and over, oh and over and over :mrgreen: As soon as I make some tabs I should be good to go....

• Well I got the ram all mounted up and it works great. It started to get dark on me so I called it quits. Ill play around with it more later..

• welcome to some 90's tech :-). looks good and i cant believe you will finally have steering.

aaron

• Make sure you flex that out carefully before the first time out...that looks like the hoses could get into your crank pulley when you stuff the passenger side. I know I had to play with mine for awhile to get them in a good position (and now that I'm moving the ram I'll be starting from scratch :doh: )

--Ian

• Yea, I plan on taking it up to work and flexing on it with a forklift. Im also going to put some limiting straps on the front.
    I would like to get a traction bar on the rear next.
    Im hoping all this will make it 1000 times better off road

• I flexed on her a little and Im definitely not that impressed. Its good for what it is I suppose. The good news is nothing seems to be binding and everything clears good..

After measuring for my straps I only have about 4" of slack in the strap when leveled out. Can anyone tell me if thats good or bad? thanks

• it all depends on how you want to set up your suspension. mine is set fot 4 up and 10 down. you may be limited by what you can do because of shocks, sway bar or link geometry. untimately if you dont want to build a custom set up them you may be stuck with 4" of extension.

aaron

• Its definitely my shocks. I was just wondering if 4" was acceptable or complete BS. Im going to give it a try and maybe look out for longer shocks for now....

• So how much shock shaft do you have showing when its sitting at ride height? How long are the shocks now? With all that height i think you definately need some more droop.

• they have 10in travel. so it looks like I have 6 up 4 down.

Hey aaron do you have any old front shocks for a lifted yj laying around you would like to sell? I hear they are longer then xj shocks and could possibly be my answer..

• all i got left are fox air shocks. not sure how they would work with coils. i liked them with leafs. i think they are 14". they will be up for sale, but if you want to try them swing on by and get a pair. they may be too bling for you :-).

aaron

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!