Never Too Old To Learn

• I'm not sure if it's a consideration with Nikon cameras, for the Canon top of the line lenses were almost all the same ring size (77mm IIRC). So I started out with the cheaper lenses (with much smaller and varying ring sizes), but bought 77mm lenses, expecting to upgrade. You can get a step up ring to attach the luxury size filter to the cheaper lense, then re-use it when you have the better lens. Also, allows you to buy one filter for several different size lenses.

Speaking of lenses, what's anyone's thoughts on Tamron?

I know they won't compare to the best Nikon or Canon lenses.

I'd like a longer zoom for birds and wildlife, but don't want to spend $3-4K on it.

Looking at the Tamron 200-500 Tamron AF 200-500mm f/5.0-6.3 Di LD SP FEC (IF) Lens.

Pretty decent reviews.

• I had a Tamron on my Minolta 35mm SLR.. Was a great lens. Only issue I had was that zoom would slowly rotate if the camera was pointed down. Tamron repaired it under warranty, then about a year later it started doing it again. By then , digital took over and I have barely touched it since. Now I have a Nikon D-90, I have 2 lenses, 18-105mm VR Lens, and Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Prime Lens. The 50 is great for indoor low light. Makes the camera much smaller.

[size=0.7em] [/size]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I had a Tamron on my Minolta 35mm SLR.. Was a great lens. Only issue I had was that zoom would slowly rotate if the camera was pointed down. Tamron repaired it under warranty, then about a year later it started doing it again. By then , digital took over and I have barely touched it since. Now I have a Nikon D-90, I have 2 lenses, 18-105mm VR Lens, and Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Prime Lens. The 50 is great for indoor low light. Makes the camera much smaller.

[size=0.7em] [/size]

What model Minolta did you have?

My first SLR was an XG-1, then an X-700.

Then I went digital.

• Sometimes even the best of lenses will creep. Once in a while the manufacturer will quit fighting it and give you a zoom lock for keeping it tight in transport.

For filters I prefer B+W brand - their MRC filters are great at resisting smudges and their brass circular polarizers spin very smoothly.

Sorry, no experience with Tamron aside from a random lens cap I acquired from Jerry a year or two ago :)

• Tamron is amazing. Great lens. Great price and warranty. Hard to choke down the L price for Canon. I stated with the kit lens 18-55, then a tamron 17-50 2.8, then tried the L 24-105 IS. L is amazing, but I have a friend who shot weddings with his Tamron for a very very long time.

• Sigma is putting out some great lenses right now and I believe they are running a special. Check out the website for more.

I just got a 70-300 IS USM refurbished from Canon for $250.00, great price as new is around $600 from Canon, they are running a mothers day sale under 5/25. EF lens so it will work with all future body upgrades (full frame). The 24-70 F2.8 Sigma is an amazing lens for under $1000 compared with Canon's 24-70 F2.8L which is closer to $2K. One of the officers I work with does professional photo on the side and when I have a question or need advice on what lens to get, he points me in the right direction. He also usually sells me his equipment when its time for him to upgrade.

I was looking at the 50-500mm Sigma, but thats a lot of coin.

• I really like the 18-200 for my everyday lens.

But for what I like doing, 200mm isn't getting me close enough.

The Sigma 150-500mm is a little more than the Tamron 200-500mm but also has image stabilization.

So far the Tamron does better in the reviews from an optical standpoint, especially at the full 500mm.

• If you're going to pick it up as a hobby, I'd go with the semi-professional line. I bought a 20D, then tried out a 5D. I bought them used and sold them for what I picked them up for. I'm sure they're cheaper now, but the 20D was around $250-$300, and the 5D was around $950. They were great cameras, with superb pictures, their only fault by today's standards - imo - is their iso settings weren't great. If you're looking to drop a lil more cash, maybe a 7D.

Otherwise, if you just want a camera with changable lenses, the amateur line is probably best, as in the rebel line from Canon.

Let me know if you are looking for more info on the constraints.

EDIT: I've also pondered grabbing up one of the "point and shoots with interchangeable lenses". Seems like a decent balance if you're not looking to be super creative. I don't know a ton about them though, as I haven't bothered - doing jeep stuff! :mrgreen: .

• Don't discount DSLRs from Samsung , Panasonic, Sony and Olympus. These can often get you into features that you would need to pay 2x to get with Nikon or Canon. For a starter camera , these can be a great option. Also look into the newer mirrorless digitals. These are going to be the future.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• Something like this?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221222962096

• Just FYI, last fall I picked up a Canon EOS Rebel T3i 20MP with almost the exact package from Sam's Club for around ~$450 then qualified for a very cheap 55-250 telephoto lens from Canon direct. I also went ahead and got a 64 GB card and a couple extra batteries for it. My Wife and I have been VERY happy with the performance, and the cost didn't break the bank...

• Just FYI, last fall I picked up a Canon EOS Rebel T3i 20MP with almost the exact package from Sam's Club for around ~$450 then qualified for a very cheap 55-250 telephoto lens from Canon direct. I also went ahead and got a 64 GB card and a couple extra batteries for it. My Wife and I have been VERY happy with the performance, and the cost didn't break the bank...

For that extra $100-200 buy new. Use Amex and get double the factory warranty. Even a new Sony Alpha can be snagged under $400.

• I'm not crazy about it at first look, the real expensive stuff are the lenses. Whether they are the top of the line lens or simply because you want a different lens for each scenario.

I think the 20D is a GREAT way to get started, still takes amazing pictures, but it started to seem like the cheaper modern cameras (4 figures) had some obvious advantages. When you get into reading about how the camera captures light and how to manipulate it for an exposure, you'll see what I mean. I used sites like bhphoto.com for info gathering, sites like keh.com for a good used market because i think they are conservative in their ratings, and i also like the canon refurb store. ebay always seemed like a crap shoot and people always did a bidding frenzy right before the auction closes (I ninja bid too).

Why I liked the 20D was because it had all the semi-pro hand dials to make it quick and easy to change the exposure, and the grip was bigger for my hands.

Here's a quick search on keh.com: http://www.keh.com/camera/Cano…/sku-DC0299907711003?r=FE the body only for $159 plus shipping, so you'd need maybe a battery and sd card and definitely battery charger. the lens in the ebay auction is a crappy kit lens, fine to start with, but I think the zoom range in the 18-55 is much more usable (http://www.keh.com/camera/Cano…/sku-DC0799907852205?r=FE) for that sensor.

What are you looking at? hobbyist, interested/unsure, just a family photo taker? budget?

I remember thinking - when I got out of it and sold my stuff - that I might just get the new cheaper lines and all in one zooms. I think you can take great pictures with either of the above suggestions: older semi-pro, newer amateur style. Also, I've never looked at the Nikon stuff or the other manufacturers and truly compared them myself. No idea if someone else made leaps and bounds and left Canon in the dust.

• No idea if someone else made leaps and bounds and left Canon in the dust.

Canon and Nikon are in a constant battle to out do each other. I doubt that either take the other competition very seriously. Look ate any place pro photographers gather , that s all you see is Nikon and Canon.

• And you didn't really say what your experience level is.

If you are just getting into more than snapshots, some of the point and shoot cameras take very good pictures and some allow a lot of creative control.

I have a Nikon Coolpix P5100 and its a very nice P&S. it does have an optical viewfinder, some don't.

What's the most you want to spend to get started, that'll help narrow your choices.

Agreed - the T3i was my first DSLR and it was awesome to help me get my foot in the door and learn all about manual settings. That being said, it has a18.0mp crop sensor (not 20mp) and I think I'd pony up for two 16gb cards instead of one 64gb card. You'd be hard pressed to even fill up a 32gb card unless you NEVER download, and I think having a backup card is more important than having a large storage card.

If you just want a great all purpose walk around camera, I'd find a packaged Canon Rebel w/18-55 lens as that is the perfect all purpose lens. Wide enough to give you a great landscape shot and long enough to give you the focal length that is equivalent to the human eye. Pretty much any of the Rebel line will give you good results, but the last three (T4i, T5i, and SL1) all have made great advances in high ISO capability. Basically means you can get away with faster shutter speed in lower light with a slower lens :up:

• And you didn't really say what your experience level is.

None really just always wanted to get into it as a hobby. I took a photography class in high school bit that was film not digital but it was fun.

If you are just getting into more than snapshots, some of the point and shoot cameras take very good pictures and some allow a lot of creative control.

I have a Nikon Coolpix P5100 and its a very nice P&S. it does have an optical viewfinder, some don't.

Yeah my wife has one its a nice camera I just want to get more involved in settings and taking better shots.

What's the most you want to spend to get started, that'll help narrow your choices.

No real budget in mind but since I have no idea what I'm doing 200-300 I guess until I decide if I even like it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!