Never Too Old To Learn

• I got my first 35mm SLR in the early 80's.

Everything the beginner could find to read suggested keeping a UV filter on your lens to protect it.

Most even touted that even a cheap filter would be fine.

When I got this Nikon I bought a cheap UV filter for it's lens.

I started to notice frequent lens flare when shooting into the sun.

Chris and I talked so I decided to try an easy experiment.

Below are the results.

With no filter:

With Vivitar UV filter:

So now... Buy a better filter or go naked?

• Buy a good filter. Helps with image quality plus serves to protect the lens. I had the best I could find on my old go-to 28-135is lens, but I'm sure there are better out now.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• You can also try a lens hood. It will help greatly with the glare no matter what kind of filter high or low grade.

• So would I be safe with a Nikon NC filter?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Sc…ords=nikon+72mm+uv+filter

Still way less than 10% of the cost of my 18-200.

that will probably work, of course being a Canon guy I'm not familiar with the current generation of Nikon equipment. :) The "multi-coated" option is usually what to look for, it prevents a lot of flare and ghosting from light bouncing off the lens, to the filter and back to the lens.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• What kind of animal is that in front of the trailer? Camera takes awesome pictures without the filter and this camera is from the 80's???

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• I know that it can protect that expensive glass, but you're also paying a lot for the clarity and contrast that that expensive glass gives you. Why put something in between it if it's not always needed? Your first pic and second pic are worlds apart in color. Go big or go home, I've heard Hoya's are "good/decent". http://www.bhphoto.com (their store in NYC is just plain fun to walk around in)

• I was in japan an saw the most vivid rainbow ever. Grabbed my 35mm and shot a half a roll of film surely captured the moment. After developing the film ... no rainbow. My polarizing filter removed it!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Taptalk 2

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I know that it can protect that expensive glass, but you're also paying a lot for the clarity and contrast that that expensive glass gives you. Why put something in between it if it's not always needed? Your first pic and second pic are worlds apart in color. Go big or go home, I've heard Hoya's are "good/decent". http://www.bhphoto.com (their store in NYC is just plain fun to walk around in)

I don't think a quality UV filter should really change the image.

And I'm not sure if the color shift is really purely the filter glass, or a byproduct of the flare caused by the filter.

I'm going to get one of the Hoya UV filters and I'll take some more test shots when I get it.

Thinking this: http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Ult…NWZS&tag=gonitxyz47113-20

• I'm not sure if it's a consideration with Nikon cameras, for the Canon top of the line lenses were almost all the same ring size (77mm IIRC). So I started out with the cheaper lenses (with much smaller and varying ring sizes), but bought 77mm lenses, expecting to upgrade. You can get a step up ring to attach the luxury size filter to the cheaper lense, then re-use it when you have the better lens. Also, allows you to buy one filter for several different size lenses.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!