the story of my CO/UT trip

• Also a hiking fanny pack with two water bottles for hiking trips and if I had to abandon the Jeep, fill the pack with trail mix, fill the bottles and trek off. Plus several 45min flares in the recovery tote (for road use or lighting wet wood in emergency). I'm sure there is more stuff I forget but, yeah... I went with the over prepared plan. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'd have to do it in Kathy's Jeep. Mine would kill me on a trip that long (if it made it)

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I don't put a lot of miles on my Jeep... got it Nov 2 2011 and it had just turned over 18k miles when i left. Hit 20,000 while crossing the Continental Divide. Definitely an amazing vehicle to drive that far and run the trails with no issues. I could have used some reservoir shocks for the long trails, but it survived. :)

And happily, my back doesn't hurt, even with all of that seat time!

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Awesome. Great write-up. Thanks for sharing!

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Yeah, it would have been better with another vehicle, which is why I carried so much gear. The FJ Cruiser I met and the 4runner, however, were completely unprepared otherwise they wouldn't have needed my help. I think most of the trails out there are run solo... it's more scenic rough roads than rock crawling. Like I said, even Fins and Things wasn't that hard. My Cherokee would have been fun, but i doubt it would have made it without breaking something. :) A lifted 4dr Rubi, on the other hand.. perfect! I'm pretty sure that's what the guy from Naxja has now.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Awesome write up. I'd never do that trip on my own though. Always more fun with someone to make memories with! Looks like you had fun though and that's all that counts. :up: :up: :up:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• A friend was supposed to go along with me, but a job opportunity changed his plans. A bummer for me, since he's a good cook. ;) But, seriously, it's a great opportunity for him.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Well there's cooking and then there's camp fire cooking. I find it a different ball game when you don't have the conveniences of a kitchen. I guess it just takes getting used to.

Kathy and I would like to do this type of trip someday. I guess we have to get the kids through college and what not first. Also, her only being allowed 1 week vacation during the summer puts a damper on things. We'd have to do it before or after the warmer seasons.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Since our trip had to be cancelled, this is almost exactly what we were going to do. We're in the pre-planning for next September though!
    Great write-up Jerry!

• Jerry this is a great write up and pics. Looks like an awesome trip. Some day my wife and I want to do trips like this. You were awesomely prepared for just about any situation.

Looks like we just missed each other... We were in Sedona, AZ on 9/25, Monument Valley, UT on 9/26, Williams AZ on 9/28 and took the train to the Grand Canyon on the 29th for an overnight then back to Williams. Was a cool trip. I'll do my own write up and share our pics in a week or so.

• finally added up the fuel... $1174.15 spent on 333.696 gallons during the trip (started with a full tank, ended with just over a half-tank). Average cost per gallon was 3.48 with lowest 3.05 and highest 4.09 (in Telluride).

Jerry / Whatevah

• You should send your story into one of the magazines. Some of them like long trips like this. You could mention all the places and rest stops you stopped at on the way.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• A friend was supposed to go along with me, but a job opportunity changed his plans. A bummer for me, since he's a good cook. ;) But, seriously, it's a great opportunity for him.

I was supposed to be Jerry's co-pilot. It sucks that I had to back out on him. But I had a once in a lifetime job opportunity. We had planned on driving/sleeping in shifts so that we could get there and back basically in half the time. It would have given us an extra two days of wheeling plus split the fuel cost. I will do my best to get on the next trip. Maybe in 2015. They already made us request our leave for next year, but who knows when I will actually have off.

Well there's cooking and then there's camp fire cooking. I find it a different ball game when you don't have the conveniences of a kitchen. I guess it just takes getting used to.

John, I once cooked chicken cordon bleu and steamed crabs in an 18' center console fishing boat on a propane stove using a pan made out of cut up beer cans. Anytime, anywhere, I can turn out food that you would throat-chop a toddler to get at.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!