tire opinions (yea, i know...)

• Consider Toyo Open Country MT's. Excellent tire in every terrain I could throw at them, extremely durable, and my 37x13.50r17's were so well made they never required balancing.

Interesting that you liked those tires. I absolutely hated them on the trail. I did have them on an offroad only jeep so I don't really know about their on road performance but my gosh they were total trash on anything that wasn't dry hot rock. if you got a bit slippery or wet they wouldn't do a darn thing for me. I had the privilege of running them before and after the total chop down and rebuild. I can safely say they performed equally as bad with ORIs on all 4 corners as they did on the clayton kit.

im a fan of Nitto terra graplers. had them on my FJCruiser (58k miles and still decent tread left) and have them on my JK with 26k on them and more than half tread. even wear and great traction IMO.

I had terrible luck with Nitto tires. Wore EXTREMELY fast.

I have a set of Goodyear kevlar MTRs on the street jeep. 37x12.50x17. They make a bit of noise, but look bad ass, wear nicely, and have done decently on the trail as well.

• im a fan of Nitto terra graplers. had them on my FJCruiser (58k miles and still decent tread left) and have them on my JK with 26k on them and more than half tread. even wear and great traction IMO.

I hated the Nittos we had on the Super Duty. They wore terrible.

• They are dot. My jeep is still "street legal" for 2 years. Supposedly the 40's are softer then the 35's and 37's. They have the koh spec sidewall lugs instead of the standard.

Very cool! They probably assume that if you are rolling around on 40's, it sees more trail than road so they might as well make the compound better for trail.

• Well, everyone has their opinions. I found them to have excellent traction both on the trails and street. Perhaps the driver was the issue... :razz: But that set you had? Ed bought them used off a guy so who knows how old they were or how f'ed up the compound had gotten. Seems like that set chunked like crazy, mine never did. Personally, I think they were an old set that the compound had hardened on. Mine were new...

• i stand behind my nitto's....90% on road use...but pretty hard on them off road when i can (rocks/technical). ice, snow, highway....no complaints. i keep them at 32 psi through the summer and 28psi through the winter.

• Well, everyone has their opinions. I found them to have excellent traction both on the trails and street. Perhaps the driver was the issue... :razz: But that set you had? Ed bought them used off a guy so who knows how old they were or how f'ed up the compound had gotten. Seems like that set chunked like crazy, mine never did. Personally, I think they were an old set that the compound had hardened on. Mine were new...

He got them from me. They were less then 3 months old when I mounted them up for him.

• He got them from me. They were less then 3 months old when I mounted them up for him.

Off topic but confused here. Are you saying that Pat bought a set from you or Ed did? Because AFAIK Ed did not buy those from you... And there were 37" Toyo MT's on Pat's Jeep when he bought it from Ed. Like I said, just confused...

• Hi All,

So I am seeing a lot of Nitto, Duratrac, Mickey T in this thread. What are your thoughts on ProComp?

Thanks!
    Pep

I have never run them and people like to talk down about them for some reason but Chris Hall (JeepSahara) got a set of 35's for his TJ a while back and I was impressed at how they did on the trail. From talking to him, he seems to really like them.

• I have never run them and people like to talk down about them for some reason but Chris Hall (JeepSahara) got a set of 35's for his TJ a while back and I was impressed at how they did on the trail. From talking to him, he seems to really like them.

do you know which pro comps he had? ive thought about putting the mt2 on my truck. i know its an MT, but it looks like it might be pretty good on the hwy too

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!