yj soa questions...

• hey guys, first post here. bbd actually stopped by my house while i was working on my new project and directed me here...(much thanks) and like everyone else, i have questions. the tube bars that tie my drivers side axle to passenger side frame... am i gonna have to extend those when i go up 6" with this lift?? and what about driveshaft length... ivge read a lot before making this move, and ive seen it argued that its necessary, and some say not. i would like to be ready when i dive in, and eliminate any surprizes.. any thoughts or answers greatly appreciated.. thanks

• hey guys, first post here. bbd actually stopped by my house while i was working on my new project and directed me here...(much thanks) and like everyone else, i have questions. the tube bars that tie my drivers side axle to passenger side frame... am i gonna have to extend those when i go up 6" with this lift?? and what about driveshaft length... ivge read a lot before making this move, and ive seen it argued that its necessary, and some say not. i would like to be ready when i dive in, and eliminate any surprizes.. any thoughts or answers greatly appreciated.. thanks

First the basics

Hi and welcome to DEJA :wavey:

The part you are talking about is I assume on the rear axle because you have one like it on the front that goes from the passenger side axle to the divers side frame.

That part is called a Track Bar. Most people, when they do a Spring Over Axle or SOA lift, throw away the rear track bar as it is no longer needed. The front will use a bracket to lift the bar off the axle. (some throw it away also.)

Both of mine are gone.

• As for the drive shaft.
    When you lift a YJ; 5.5 to 6 inches you put a severe angle on the rear drive shaft and will get vibration problems..

Two things are required and can cost a few bucks to do.

Your Transfer case will need to be modified. you will need to do what is called a slip yoke eliminator. (I'll find a link that will explain it.)

http://www.dorianjepsen.com/page63.html (hack and tap style)

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/whysye.htm

then hooked up to the SYE you will need a new drive shaft one that uses a CV style joint at the Transfer case to allow for more angle.

• so eliminating the track bar isnt going to add side stress on the springs?? kinda figured it keeps the axle centered on the frame... and i angled the new spring perches to minimize angle on the driveshaft, but the sye was mentioned in a few articles.... good idea then i suppose. thanks

• The rear tb will not affect handling, but remember you are adding a good amount of lift so you will get more body roll from the higher CG. For the front some people trash the tb and say bar, but if you want to keep them JKS makes an adjustable track bar and sway bar disconnects that will fit a SOA. Personally I would plan to buy these if you do a lot of street driving because in the front they help out with emergancy stops and swerves.

Just my $.02,
    Aaron

• pa wouldn't pass inspection w/o trac bar missing... dont know where you are. it was probably because it was stock. w/o any mods.

• yep, thats me on walker/virginia... thanks joe :wavey: nice to see you still checkin in on me from time to time. just got my correct pitman arm in yesterday, so i can test her out asap. the ol girl is leaning to the passenger side for some reason. exactly one inch front and back. but after much of this :bang: ive come to the conclusion that it's been leaning due to weak springs on that side, just not as noticable before the lift. what do ya think?? and i think im gonna cheat it until i buy new springs... :-X

• yikes scott, what brings you all the way down here from bear... thought i was the only one that traveled that far. i just got done a developement n. of boyds corner on 13. (asbury chase) and one just n. of the canal between 13 and 1...(northern view)

• i had to replace all of my springs. the front had started to invert and the rear jsut wasn't up to par. just some fyi. stock springs come in 2 weights. 600 lbs. and 800 lbs. i chose to go with the 800. because of the extra weight i'm carring around.

• yep, thats me on walker/virginia... thanks joe :wavey: nice to see you still checkin in on me from time to time. just got my correct pitman arm in yesterday, so i can test her out asap. the ol girl is leaning to the passenger side for some reason. exactly one inch front and back. but after much of this :bang: ive come to the conclusion that it's been leaning due to weak springs on that side, just not as noticable before the lift. what do ya think?? and i think im gonna cheat it until i buy new springs... :-X

Are you coming to the meeting on Sunday? I'm going to be doing an SOA to my YJ in the near future and would like to check it out.

• i should be there... but blackflags is done "right". i have yet to splurge for the sye and new driveshaft. but i took her for a little spin today and i think it will be in the near future... definately a bad vibration when i let the clutch out. just the d/s right??

• you are correct on the driveshaft. mine was really bad over 40 mph. after the sye . i couldn't belive the difference.
    you can do the sye on the jeep,......but its alot easier if you pull it. only takes a few hours.

• well, im gonna finish my t/c drop this weekend. probably new motor mounts... and maybe some 1" blocks for leveling purposes for now. sit and wait for my sye and new springs. every time i do something, 4 other things pop up.... :censored:

• make sure you check your tranny mount. if it looks questionable replace it. you'll be glad you did. finding other things while your doing you mods. is normal. 2 steps forward 3 steps back.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!