GWNF Trail Report

• OK... be gentle, this is my first one of these.

The Dover AM group left Quadna's at 9:15 or so, met Keith_C at 10:15, and we got to the Kephart Run campsite around 2:30 (I think). We all picked our spots, set up out tents on relatively flat ground, and started a fire. DISH, BBD, wanderlust, and me went the rest of the way up Kephart Run Trail until it dead-ended. We picked up a little firewood along the way, and headed back. Some of the members from DE4WD had set up camp further up Kephart, so we stopped and visited on the way back. Alan (1tonTJ), Brian (CJ7Easternshore), and Knucklehead were set up there. We got back to our campsite about an hour later, cooked, ate, drank, and laughed. Patti showed up just before dark, and Robin helped her with her tent. Quadna and Icky (in this case, Icky and Quadna) got in around 10:30 (I think), claymont-hillbilly around 12:30am, and Ray (in his nice Cummins Dodge) tried to make it in, but didn't want to cross the stream in the dark (smart move). He came in first thing in the morning.

Saturday morning was beautiful, and after waiting for our hotel group, and DE4WD members to get together, we finally hit the trail about 11:00am. We immediately lost Alan (our trail guide) when he ran to help a floundering Chevy Z71 stuck in the Dry River. The rivers were quite high and angry from Hurricane Frances. We split from the rest of the DE4WD group and I took one large group up FR225 towards Skidmore Lake. The "trail" didn't start out as much, paved, then gravel, then dirt, but it started to get a bit more interesting after a few miles. We stopped first at Maple Springs for lunch, met back with the DE4WD group, and then continued to Meadow Knob (elevation 3880). Meadow Knob is a great large meadow on a relatively high peak. We should really think about camping there next time! By this point, the trail was slightly rocky, but nothing difficult. A few of the stock Jeeps rubbed on rocks once or twice, but everyone handled their Jeeps very well. The trail from Meadow Knob led next to Flagpole Knob (elevation 4360). To our surprise, a large tent city had been built for a local radio club competition. We hung out for a few minutes, and headed back. An odd side note... along this trail up to these two knobs, we'd see abandoned vehicles from time to time...a minivan, then a full-size van. A couple of hundred feet past the van was a large sweaty man with a bicycle. He's shredded a tire trying to go where that van had no business going. Quadna and wanderlust jumped out grabbed tools and started to fix his flat while the rest of us went up to Flagpole Knob...weird. Alan (1tonTJ) finally pulled the van to the top of the hill, and we all made our own way back to camp. Omaha, KJ04 and Icky played on the hills on the way back. On a scale of 1-10, the trail up was a 4, the trail home a 3 (anyone else agree?)

Saturday night got really weird. Quadna and I made a beer run, Patti left to find Coleman, the DE4WD guys stopped by to cut some firewood for us. I passed out DeJA Trail Badges. Sound weird?

(insert banjo music by a kid with big ears on the porch)

We hear a loud engine. A highly modified Bronco pulls up. Then another, then another (three, right?... I was drinking.). Now we have a new group of "local" friends who want food and one of the kid's glow sticks... yup... weird. Good thing there was more of us than them. But they probably meant well... just weird.

Sunday morning came, and was as perfect as Saturday. Most of us wanted to get started home early, so I picked a small loop of a trail near our camp site and thought we'd also go check out the Chevy stuck in the river. The loop was too easy, but the trip to Dry River was fun! The truck was still there (look for pictures), and all we had to do was MENTION crossing to claymont-hillbilly, and he was mid-stream. He crossed with no hesitation, and BBD, and DCC followed easily. Claymont-hillbilly stood on the truck for a victory photo, then we all crossed back to the first bank of the river for poser photos.

We all made our own way back to camp, packed up, and left around 12:00. Most of us regrouped on the highway near the Bay Bridge, and made our way home.

If there are names here I haven't mentioned... it's only because so many people showed up. PLEASE, add a post here and tell me what I left out. Robin and I had a great time, got to meet people we'd only talked to on the boards, and learned a lot about the forest. We will definitely go again, and it will definitely be another stocker-friendly ride.

Thanks everyone for your support when things got sketchy. I'm glad it all seemed to work out for the best. My photos are here:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3779515093
    (These are large 6MP files. If you want the originals, email/PM me. I'll touch up the image and send it to you.)

Thanks again, now stop reading this and go get a shower, you need it.

DrJ

• perfect all but the trail rating i would say more of 2-4 if you wanted it to be that hard. bu tyou did a great job leading us around for the weekend i enjoyed my self.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Nice recap Steve!

I had a great time! Yes, I'm writing this at 2:35am. I got home & went right for the shower, got something to eat and went to bed. I got about 4-5 hours sleep the whole weekend. I think the unlevel ground had something to do with my not sleeping. I brought in what I had to have in the house and will unpack the Jeep tomorrow.

Since my Jeep is still stock, this ride was the perfect stock trail for me. It had a little bit of harder terrain but nothing I couldn't handle. That steep hill of rocks went real smooth with DrJ telling me right where to go.

Coleman had a nice time and he was really sorry he couldn't stay. He wanted me to let everyone know that he really liked seeing the people he knew again and got to meet some new people.
    He got a little worried "concerned" when I thought I broke something and we kept hearing a banging noise. But it went a way for now and my trip home was uneventful. We will get it checked out though. Thanks to everyone for looking under there to see if anything was broken

It was a little wierd when the locals showed up. It was just creepy.

I want to thank everyone for making this a nice weekend and for giving me a hand when I needed it. Matt checked the buttons on my CB and the squealing is gone. I need to get a better antenna.

I'm going to try & get my pictures in the gallery. I didn't take that many this trip.

Patti

• One last thing...

Those of you who went off-road for the first time. Was this as hard as you expected, wanted? Too hard? Too easy? Give me some idea for the NEXT time!

Thanks!

DrJ (TBFAD)

• This was my first trail ride with DEJA and it was great. Thank you for the hospitality, assistance and providing an atmosphere where my whole family could enjoy the weekend together in the outdoors. I think we're hooked, except for my little girl....she's still not camping!

I appreciate the pics everyone is posting with my XJ in them. My son was so excited he took a print of one of the pics to school this morning to show everyone what a great weekend he had.

• Great pictures Chris. Would've loved to have gone, hopefully sometime soon I won't get stuck in a darn kitchen for the weekend and actually make it out. I really thought I was going to make this one... the pictures really help get the 5 year old on my side as far as permision from the wife goes.

late
    Sean

• Wasn't my first time but I'll chime in...

I had an awesome weekend. Just an all around fun time.

My only complaint is that there weren't a few more obstacles where everyone could watch each other tackle them. To me that's one of the most fun parts of trail rides.

I'd definitely like to do this again. Maybe in the spring... :hmm:

And Steve I thought you did a stellar job of holding things together, and protecting us from those hill folks... I REALLY didn't want to have to squeal like a pig ! :rolleyes:

• awesone pics chris...good to see ericas jeep on the trails. i must go next time...looks like an awesome place

• First off, Steve, the ride was perfect considering it was billed as a Stocker ride. Just enough terrain changes to keep it interesting, but not so difficult that we had to worry about breaking anything. On your way to becoming a fine Trail Guide.

As for the pictures posted so far, where's my truck :shrug: ? Just kidding. Glad to see that some of you guys made it across Dry River on Sunday. When me and Erica got there Saturday morning, you couldn't see the rear fenders to tell it was a Z71 and the water was above the bottom edge of the driver side door window. I'd say it probably dropped 3-4 inches overnight. BTW, did you guys find the other end of Erica's winch cable attached to that truck?

Great time. Thanks for having us along.

• Excellent trail report Steve and great pictures from Steve and Chris. GWNF looks like a beautiful place with a ton of great scenery. I will definately have to come next time.

-Chris

• It was an [size=18px]AWESOME WEEKEND![/size]

The weather was perfect, great camping, great campfires!, great company.....and canned spaghetti. Ok, so not ALL of us brought salmon and chicken to eat. :doh:

Really though, just a great weekend. Selena even sat through the pics and didn't fall asleep. Right honey?....hon?.....ppssstt.

Excellent recap Steve, and great job getting it all organized. Great pics from you and Quadna as well. Can't wait to do it all again, I'm ready, and it's only Monday.

My pics from my quality Walmart disposable aren't as good, but they're HERE!, so enjoy if you'd like. (2 of the shots here are from DrJ though....the ones that actually look nice, it's not hard to tell)

Hope those that didn't make it can go next time.

Paul

• Yes I would have to agree this was a really great weekend. Except for my late start Friday night and the flat tire Saturday night it was perefect. Thanks again Steve and maybe I'll make the one in the spring. Matt

• Quote from "claymont-hilbilly"

... and the flat tire Saturday night...

Hey Matt,

That slow leak of mine? Yup...another nail. There were a lot around the campsite. Thanks for having that compressor!

DrJ

• I had a great time on this run, I'd like to see it turn into an annual event. :grin:

I finally got my pics uploaded to my gallery. :rolleyes:
    This group shot was taken from a dead tree I climbed in an attempt to get an overhead shot and is a link to my gallery.

Thanks Steve and everybody for a great weekend. Can't wait till next year. :up:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!