axle strength

• I have an 04 Saraha/automatic/ with D35 rear, 3.73 gearing. I'm assuming the front is a D30? Would that be right?

My question is I want to upgrage my 33x12.50's on 15x10's to 35x13.50's on the same 15x10 rims. At a minimum, I know i need to re-gear to 4.56. My question is will the axles hold up or am I in the danger zone? I don't do alot of off-roading - some playing in the mud/snow/sand but no real rock crawling or anything.

If the answer is that I need to upgrade (front/rear or both?) to a d44 or something any advise on a good place to get brand new straight swap ins? I'm not looking to have to do alot of modifications to make things fit.

Thanks

• The front Dana 30 will be fine.

The Dana 35 has C-clipped axles which will fail eventually. I'm not sure where the "cut off" is as far as the maximum tire size they will handle before failing but I'd swap the Dana 35 out for an Explorer 8.8 rear.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I want to run run tires bigger than my 33s too, so I've looked into this a bit. Some people get by fine with a 35 rear and 35s. Some people kill their rears within a week of upgrading to 35s. I agree with slimer on the 8.8 rear swap. If you really want to swap out for brand new 44's there are a few places to get them. I'll link to one here, but I'm pretty sure Currie and other axle places make them and may be able to get you a better price...

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merc…JAU&Product_Code=JWRD4FRA

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Why dont you get this one? Under the swap meet forum.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Why dont you get this one? Under the swap meet forum.

Agreed. ;D

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• I See people all the time with 35" still on the dana 35. I think your ok if you leave it open and your not hard on it. Put it this way I would run it till i broke something. You said yours is a 04 so it may last forever. Its all on bein cool about the way you off road it.

• With an automatic and 33s, 4.10s may be a better bet. I ran that setup and it seems to be optimal for an auto.

• run the 35 til you break it (if you ever do). Everyone is easier or harder then the next with their stuff. No use in spending 2g on an axle just out of the fear of breaking what you have.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• run the 35 til you break it (if you ever do). Everyone is easier or harder then the next with their stuff. No use in spending 2g on an axle just out of the fear of breaking what you have.

THat is a decent way to look at it as long as the person running 35's on a 35 brings their own spare shafts and knows how to change them.....THat is why I tend to push the 44 or 8.8... as most people dont' carry spares and wouldn't know how to replace the shafts if the instructions were in front of them.... That is also reason 426 why I only wheel with people I know, I have spent way too many trips repairing other peoples junk instead of wheeling...

• 8.8 Specifications:

Disc Brakes/Rotors - A great upgrade from the drum brakes on the D35..
    5 Lug on 4 1/2 Wheel Studs
    31 Spline Axle Shafts (Stock Dana 35 is 27 Splines)
    3.73 Gear Ratio
    The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind:
    Ford 8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.) = Stronger than the Dana 44
    D44= 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.)
    D35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.)

Weight (complete assembly w/ brakes etc.): 174 lb.
    O.D. of tubes: 3.250".
    Tube thickness: .250"
    Ring gear diameter: 8.800".
    Ring gear bolts: 7/16" dia. (qty. 10).
    Pinion diameter/splines: 1.625 / 30.
    Axle shaft/splines: 1.320 / 31.
    Overall width 59.625" (the F8.8 is .950" narrower then a Dana 35).
    Bolt size (U-joint flange to yoke) is: 12 x 1.75 x 30 mm
    Centerline of housing to C/L of pinion difference is 3.875" toward the P/S.
    (This measurement is 2.5" offset to the P/S then a Dana 35).

this is cut and pasted from a good friend of mine

• Run them till they break like The Mistaken said. I have a D35 with 3.73s, 33s and off-road alot and have never had a problem. With an auto it might be different, if anything just re-gear to 4.10s.

• THat is a decent way to look at it as long as the person running 35's on a 35 brings their own spare shafts and knows how to change them.....THat is why I tend to push the 44 or 8.8... as most people dont' carry spares and wouldn't know how to replace the shafts if the instructions were in front of them.... That is also reason 426 why I only wheel with people I know, I have spent way too many trips repairing other peoples junk instead of wheeling...

Completely agrred with and understood, but he says that he doesn't crawl or anything and just plays in the mud here and there. The 35 should be fine as long as the mind is on the skinny pedal...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!