Pine Barrens trip report 3/31

• Overall, the day was pretty good. :) Nobody broke anything major, although there were a few injuries...

Well, as usual, I forgot something and went back home to get the trail badges. Met up with Bubbafied, Copesetic, daddanalena, Slick, Solomi and Zeke at Mikes Bikes and got moving... a little while later we rolled up to the park office and met Diablo and y2kyellowtj.

After chatting for a bit, we headed out for the trails, did a quick loop around the ruins at Hampton Furnace, played in a sand pit and headed for the 1/4 mile area. Remembering where the deep spots were, I went around the killer ruts and let Zeke try them and then watched Copesetic winch him out. And then we watched Solomi attempt the spot and get winched backwards by Bubbafied (or daddanelena, forget which).

We moved on to a couple more open areas to play a bit in the mud pits and then went to try a spot I got stuck in last year (which I made!). Zeke got stuck nearby, and my XJ took on a few gallons of water after I got high centered on something. Copesetic got me free and I went off to bail out my XJ. Somebody freed Zeke and the group caught up with me as I was bailing out and I used Copesetics drill to "install" a drain hole.

After my XJ relieved itself, we moved on and I got stuck again, took on a few more gallons of water and was pulled out again my Copesetic. I hi-lifted my rear bumper while a few others tried the hole, the only person to make it without help was Solomi, who wisely hugged the side of the trail.

We did a loop around the area and went back to the entrance to shoot some video footage before heading to a new section of the forest. On the way, we ran through a couple more puddles, a few deep ones and stalled Zeke's XJ in a nice one. After putting in a dry air filter, it started up and we made our way to the Caranza Memorial and walked around giving y2kyellowtj's TJ a little time to cool off its overheating engine.

We then made our way to a large wet area Zeke and I have played at before, I found a 2' drop on the access trail and got stuck. Once again, Copesetic gave me a tug and Zeke walked the trail with his waders to check for other suprises. After we made it to the wet area, everybody played around after I gave depth warnings. After playing for a little while, we all parked in a sand pit for a group photo.

After posing for the photo, we made our way to Apple Pie Hill. After going over a few hundred "woop-dee-doos", we arrived at the hill and some of us climbed the fire tower and chatted with the guy on duty who explained what he does and pointed out some smoke for us. Now, it was time to return to civilization...

After we found a paved road, Zeke discovered that his transmission wasn't cooperating and eventually lost all but 1st gear. The decision was made to flat tow him back to the parking area, so we formed a convoy to get him safely back. After returning to the parking lot, y2kyellowtj graciously allowed the use of his trailer to get Zeke's XJ home. Zeke and his passenger jumped into y2kyellowtj's TJ while y2kyellowtj pulled the trailer.

From there, we split up, the locals went on their way and the rest of us headed back to DE by way of gas stations and Wawa (where we stopped to use my hood as a dinner table). After crossing the DE Memorial Bridge and paying our get-out-of-NJ tax, we went on our ways.

thanks to Copesetic for his frequent pulls and winch use, bubbafied and daddanelena for their winching and y2kyellowtj for his tech help and for towing Zeke home. Also, thanks to Zeke for wading through the puddles to find the deep spots, and Slick (and brother) for walking the tow straps through the puddles. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• pics from Slick....

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• now that the official report is posted, I'm quite pleased with my new tires. I could really feel them grabbing the mud in places that I know my old AT tires would have just spun uselessly. I could feel the XJ getting stuck until the tires grabbed the mud and started throwing it to get me out. an awesome feeling. :)

ehh... and now I have to finish "installing" the drain holes in my XJ. :D I only drilled a hole in the passenger side, there wasn't much water in the drivers side.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Transmissions LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE, LOVE, LOVE water and mud. I replaced mine already due to it.

Looks like fun but I'm sticking to my rocks :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• fortunately our AW4 transmissions are pretty strong, but we need to figure out why his transmission gets so wet. I've never had a problem with mine, but he's gotten water in his the last 2 times he's been in water.

Slick is also having issues with his TJ, but nobody is sure from what. It idles fine, and is fine when the engine is revved in neutral, but when accelerating in gear, it bucks.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Transmissions LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE, LOVE, LOVE water and mud. I replaced mine already due to it.

Looks like fun but I'm sticking to my rocks :doh:

yeah my jeep is scared of the mud....I torture it too much with jagged rocks already...im tempted to take my xj out there and throw some roosters 30ft up like zeke loooks like it could be fun until the jeep dies in a 3ft mud puddle :bang:

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Check for a tranny vent. You may have to extend the vent to a higher place, like the engine compartment.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• MASSIVE THANKS TO y2kyellowtj

For trailering my ass home!

Nice pictures by slick too!

• Great Trip! We all had a blast.
    Thanks again to Jerry for leading this group. :up:
    I have some great pictures I will try to post asap. I can't seem to figure out how but will keep at it.

• had great time ,my jeep is a mess.also tom i have your tow strap,nice to see you made it home.hopfully its just a tranny flush?if you see that I'm posted on a ride with someone that lives close to you ill give strap to him,i know ill see you and Steve on another trip sometime .

Wayne

• Hey guys, had a lot of fun. I took 200 pics before my battery ran out in my camera, and I got some good video too.

I didn't have much time, but I quickly put 50 pics up, at "http://www.salgiglia.com/photos"

within the next few days I'll try and integrate the page with my main web server and put up the video.

thanks again,

Sal

• sal i think you have my other tow strap as well.. ill get it from you next meeting or whenever is convenient..

also, threw codes 12 and 24.

24 is the TPS, 44 bucks at pep boys.. and im on my way to get it right now :)

wish me luck

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

Edited once, last by slick ().

• You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Excellent Pictures!

As soon as Copesetic charges his phone and I can reach him to get a mini-DV cable, I will digitize the videos and post em up. They freaking rock!

• ....never....

[How many times I've been] + [1]

didn't you gowhen you had the ruby as well? And then on the entrance to paragon 2 weeks later your fan clutch blew? on an '05 i would say that is a little bit of a coincidence. Whatever though its your jeeps and money. remember that it is not just the engine and tranny to worry about. Hope that you didn't get mud and water into your diffs and slowly destroying your gears... Good luck!!

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• You guys definitely get the award for the most pics! It's not my kind of wheelin' but you sure seem to be havin' fun. See you on the Rocks.

Randy

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• didn't you gowhen you had the ruby as well? And then on the entrance to paragon 2 weeks later your fan clutch blew? on an '05 i would say that is a little bit of a coincidence. Whatever though its your jeeps and money. remember that it is not just the engine and tranny to worry about. Hope that you didn't get mud and water into your diffs and slowly destroying your gears... Good luck!!

Why is it that everytime we go to Wharton you guys knock the :censored: out of it? Just let it go. We don't knock y'all for liking rocks more than mud.

Anyway, it was a blast. Had fun riding with you Jerry although I think you need a snorkel so you can ride harder. :razz:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!