axle swap

• Thinking about doing something crazy again........... If I was to purchase something like a complete Currie RockJock 60 rear-end. How much time (roughly) would it take a qualified person to do the swap? Trying to estimate labor costs.

• Also, is there a benefit to moving to something other than the stock TJ wheel bolt pattern? ( understanding that I'd need to take care of the front if I switched)

• I'm thinking 37's would be the biggest I'd run while it's a primary driver but, after that, who knows..............

As far as being extreme, I just figured that if I have to replace/re-gear/lock anyway I might as well. Who else sells complete rear-ends online besides currie? I want to do some price compares. I just picked them because I'm not knowledgeable enough to piece one together myself.

Also, thought the rockjock would be a bonus if/when I get thing ready to be a show Jeep.

• To give a answer to the question

The 60 from currie should have all the brackets welded on to fit your TJ.
    You may want to do a long arm kit with it as well.

It would be a good full day of wrenching

• you guys are tough on me. I'm addicted to doing mods on my jeep. Do I crawl, nope. Love the mud and sand but I was raised on sports cars and good, clean looking vehicles so the sound of rocks grinding against my jeep or branches running down the sides is like nails on a chalkboard for me (at least for now).

What's wrong with wanting a good looking bad :censored: extremely functional jeep?

• Jason, I don't see any advantage of a Rock Jock axle, even for the bling application. We broke one last year and I feel that Currie just does not build the best axles. I feel bad saying that after having met them and think they are great guys, but I feel there are stronger and better looking axle assemblies out there. These front and rear would be sweet and strong.

• you guys are tough on me. I'm addicted to doing mods on my jeep. Do I crawl, nope. Love the mud and sand but I was raised on sports cars and good, clean looking vehicles so the sound of rocks grinding against my jeep or branches running down the sides is like nails on a chalkboard for me (at least for now).

What's wrong with wanting a good looking bad :censored: extremely functional jeep?

How is it being tough on you trying to encourage you to not spend 5K on an axle that is worthless to you ::) I ran 37's on my stock rear axle for 2 years, I am building a 60 front and guess what I am keeping my 44 rear, why you may ask, because if it ain't broke why waste the money?

• I appreciate all the advice that I get on this forum. Like mentioned before, I don't do much of off-roading and am just a year or so into the Jeep thing so getting info from more experienced folks is valuable to me. Just having a bad day and took the comment about me "wanting people to think I wheel" to seriously. In the end, I guess my thinking is that I plan to keep going bigger as long as I have the urge and the funds. In the end I guess my thought process was to replace with the best/strongest I can so I never have to worry about it again no matter what size tires I want to run or what abuse I want to put the jeep through. Guess the question really should have been more like..............

At point is a D44 or 8.8 not strong enough? Could I run 39's or even 44's and be confident with either of those? I'd hate to get 2 or 3 yrs down the road and have to buy a second set of axles.

Really didn't mean to stir up any BS with this serious of posts, sorry if I did.

• You are 40 steps ahead of yourself, when you are building a jeep for 39's (I am not even going to touch the 44's) it is more or less an all at once kind of thing as the axles are about 10% of the parts you need..... Slow down browse other boards that show builds of that size and find out what is involved..... If you are paying someone to put your jeep on 39's expect it to cost about $20-25,000... and that is best case scenario with "budget" axles.....

• So then for on-road (and a little mud/sand) a D44 would be just as reliable as anything else for up to 37's? The only benefit realized from something like the rockjock would found if I was doing extreme off-roading.

• You didn't stir anything up. Many people get WILD IDEAS about what they want but don't realize it's not really needed for what they want. Build something TOO big and you won't find any challenge off road. No fun in that. Also, with gas prices so high, going BIG generally KILLS economy.

Tires as big as 39s or 44s are probably too big for a Dana 44 off road. I guess ON ROAD it may be fine. I'm not sure if there is a clear cut answer for that.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• So then for on-road (and a little mud/sand) a D44 would be just as reliable as anything else for up to 37's? The only benefit realized from something like the rockjock would found if I was doing extreme off-roading.

Now you are seeing the light.... Hell for almost exclusively on road, a trussed super 35 would be sufficient with 37's...... When you start talking 60's, minimum tire size is a 37 or so.. otherwise you will have a giant boat anchor attached to your vehicle...

• IMO, 44s are waaay too tall for any SWB Jeep, even if you extend the wheelbase and run full-width axles. the 4 door JK wouldn't be too bad, but there's a good reason why only the fullsize trucks run tires that big.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!