2.5 engine being stupid

• i have a 2.5 that was bought from ebay for 200 and i had rebuilt....
    well first off my dads friend who rebuilt it did not change the rear seal... so my transmission is sitting on the floor and i have changed the rear seal, front transmission seal, transfur case seals, and rear axle seal.... well the left side of the engine the is allways covered in oil... i have supposdly over 80 psi of pressure but im told that the gauge censor gets misled when its clogged... i also have oil coming out of my dipstick...???? i donno but now i have reworked the motor and added new gauges by sunpro and will c what happens... i also cleaned and painted my skid plate... and noticed that the holes where u bolt it to the frame were all cracked and needed to be welded... does this happen often??? or do i have bad luck.... sometime i wonder... this jeep is the most expensive vechicle i have EVER owned.... and i would never get rid of it.... a curse!

• The oil coming out of the dip stick could be a few things. Excess crank case pressure would be one but since you have a fresh rebuild I would doubt it. An EASY check is to make sure there's a rubber grommet or something on the dip stick that helps seal the dip stick tube. It should sit under the cap on the dip stick.

Pretty sure there should be one there anyway. ???

Your dip stick tube could also be cracked or loose in the hole.

Is it a LOT of oil leaking out? When you pull the PCV valve do you see puffs of smoke coming out? Do you have any oil building up in the air cleaner?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• well today i finally got it all back together and ran it... the new gauges read 60 psi at idle and around 70psi at 2500... i have cleaned the stock oil pressure gauge but it still shows over 80 psi... i put a new gromet in the dipstick and will look where its bolted to the block later today... its not allot but engouh to cover the left side of the motor, the wirers and the fire wall... i know its not a good thing... that why im worried

• Check the timing chain cover, and underneath the distributor. There should be a little paper gasket under the distributor (checking for that will be more involved since you have to pull the distributor to check).

The oil pressure thing could be a bad oil pressure sending unit too. Whatevah just had a similar problem with his oil pressure. I forget what the problem was though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I am starting to think their may be a head gasket isssue here.

high pressure lots of CCP may be a leak in the gasket at an oil passage ???

• Good point. Pull the vent or PCV valve off the valve cover and see if there is an excess of pressure coming out. Excess crank case pressure could show up there. Is your PCV valve working? Is it getting suction?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Good point. Pull the vent or PCV valve off the valve cover and see if there is an excess of pressure coming out. Excess crank case pressure could show up there. Is your PCV valve working? Is it getting suction?

The 2.5 doesent have a pcv valve it uses a vacuum line ending at a fitting in the valve cover. It has an special orifice hole that only allows a certain amount of ventlation. It also has an elbow and line running to the intake but no valve.

• shouldent be a head gasket problum... it new... their is a guy that lives down the street from me with an 89 4cy that has a simlar problum... he told me it was his distrubitor... he found a hold that vents and that's what was leaking... i keep looking... cleaning... looking.. their is so much on that side i cant see anything... but i can tell that some of it is coming down the dipstick but not enough to drip like it does... ill keep looking i leave for skool monday.. im going to tear vermont up!

• why dont you buy a dye kit and try that??...

i have a dye kit... what would u suggest i do rip out the distrubitor and what then... i can rtv it but if the hole is factory and its they way my bottom end vents then wehn i plug it what will happen... oil will leak out of somewhere else... thier is another problum... but i dont have time im going back to school tomm.... ill fix it in da winter..
    thanks for da concern

sometime i wonder... this jeep is the most expensive vechicle i have EVER owned.

Just rember what Jeep standes for. :argue:

J = Just
    E = Empty
    E = Every
    P = Pocket

Hang in there a Jeep is worth it. :driving:

• bud from down the road, mine is also still leaking, i think i have it narrowed down to the distributor, but have pulled and replaced gasket 3 times.( once having to re time)! seems to leak above that point , weep hole??? will try heavy bead of rtv next. may be issue with crank case ventilation? signed....at wits end

• If you changed the gasket a bunch of times and it hasn't fixed the problem then you are probably fixing a symptom and not the cause.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• im still not sure... its amazing i have spent so much time fixing it and it still dosent cooperate... every time i go under the jeep the starter has oil on it and all the wiers are shiney from the oil... its not the dipstick.... its not the filter.... its not coolant from heating system.... its not from the oil pan... so im just going to have to live with this... but im having allot of fun up here.... and i found hard doors for 100.00. their not bad just need new handles.. hope all is well with the cherokee will see ya around christmas... i hope we can go to RC and see what ure little four banger and my four little banger can do! ttyl

• heres what i got... by far, no mechanic. but my 89 has the 2.5, and i think maybe my issues are the same as yours. dipstick on mine was leaking pretty good. pulled it out, put some rtv and cleaned the o-ring... seems to have solved it. changed the valve cover gasket 3 times, finally got that fixed. there absolutely is a vent on the bottom side of your distributor, and mine is doing it too. probably blow by and too much pressure like someone said before. (same thing i was told anyhow) but i do have oil in air cleaner box, guage reads 80psi also. did a pressure check in the cyllinders, and seemed like pressure was lower in the front of the engine for somereason. some of that restore helped... but i def. need a rebuild. kind of funny its always on that passenger side tho huh?

• when your fathers friend rebuilt your engine,...did he also do the head as well. your oil pressure seems a little high but shouldn't be to much of a concern. check your specs. on the engine......... do a compression test. this will tell you if you have a valve/ head gasket leaking. if there should not be more then 10 lbs. difference between all the cylinders. other then what the others have mentioned about the gasket on the dist. you shouldn't have alot of oil coming out.

you don't go into to much detail as to exactly what he done. if he did not replace your rear seal and other seals then you have to question what else he forgot to do. this is why your having to go back and redo things. ask him for a list of parts he bought to rebuild your engine. this will give you a pretty good idea what else you have to fix.

hope this helps

• i will call my macinac and see what he exactly did to rebuild it... its finny that you talk about the valves because their has allways been a slight tap on the front first valve.... i had it checked out at the jeep delearship and they said "well its old thats what old engines do" and quite frankly hes right in a way... my jeep makes weard ass noises all the time... but i know its a cop-out or that he thinks its just not worth the trouble... i thought about bringing it somewhere else but this shit is to expensive... i can keep doing this.. i do know that when my motor was rebuilt he repaced all the seals (except the rear... which he had in his tool box) but he also changed oil pump, water pump and timing. the heads are orginal... the cam is from quadratech... a more agressive one... new distruditor etc... he rebuilt it in his gaurge i dident have the money to get the heads rebuilt and new pistons... the motor came from a friend for 200.00 and the other parts were 200.00. i would of bought a profesonal rebuild but i dont have 1200.00 sitting around and i sure as hell would not buy anoter 4 cy... but i have a NEW ax5 so... my balls are on the wall!!! i dont regret getting this motor it runs fine and only leaks a little... very little... so ill let u all know what the guy says..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!