New mods in...but more problems.

• Well, finished installing the pile of mods that I had accumulated for the MJ on Wed night....D44 rear w/ 4.56's and an Ox locker; upgraded the D30 with 4.56's, an Ox locker, outer tube seals, and 1-piece 760 ujoint shafts; and added a Rigid front winch bumper with the M8000 from my CJ and Hellas left over from a friend's old rig to match the new rear bumper that I built a few weeks back. I was attempting to finish in time for Sat's run to Paragon and falsely assumed that all I needed was some 2-guage to wire the winch and I'd be set. Well all went well on the test drive around the block, the new gears are awesome compared to the 3.07's they replaced and the lockers lock and unlock as expected (I really think those people that have had problems with the Ox shifters need to _read_ the instructions as they're rather easy to setup and adjust if you understand how they work). Needless to say I was rather happy at this point and figured that I'd help a friend out and pick up his new 36" swampers that had arrived earlier that day but were shipped to his house in North East. Well...I make it a few miles down Rt40 and wouldn't you know I can't get it into gear :upset: :upset: After a little cursing and pumping the clutch I was able to get it into gear and baby it home. Looks like the clutch finally let go behind the junk puke-geot tranny (hey, it outlasted 2 trannies! :rollsmile: ) So I was left with a couple options...put a clutch in and keep the peugeot tranny which is kinda like polishing a turd, upgrade to an AX-15 or NV3550, or convert to an auto. I pretty much eliminated just putting in a new clutch as I hate tranny work and I'm not looking to go back in there in the near future so it left me with swapping in a stronger 5-spd or going auto-magical. Since paul (prm99v6) has an AW4 and most of the associated pieces sitting from a parts truck we stripped I decided that was the better direction. After an afternoon fieldtrip to Shorty and Daves yesterday I have rest of the pieces necessary to convert...the only outstanding issue is the rear driveshaft. I know there was some discussion a couple weeks back on the old board regarding driveshaft work...what was the name of that place?? I have a front shaft that's correct but will need to shorten and balance the rear...

--Ian

• Associated truck parts off of rt. 273 (by Rambleton Acres). They do good work but sometimes you have to wait a week or so. How long of a drive shaft do you need? I have a few lengths, you might get lucky. Of course mine have u-joints at both ends.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i've used Kellers alos. they do good work. and its usually pretty quick. took him about 2 hours to do both of my shafts

• Quote from "JohnBrereton"

Associated truck parts off of rt. 273 (by Rambleton Acres). They do good work but sometimes you have to wait a week or so. How long of a drive shaft do you need? I have a few lengths, you might get lucky. Of course mine have u-joints at both ends.

I'll check both them and Kellers out...I need 1.5" taken out of the rear shaft and I was gonna have the front auto one rebalanced. My rear shaft is about 5' long...one of the only benefits of a LWB MJ.

--Ian

• oh...I think my longest one is around 40". I was thinking it might be long enough for you but I guess not. Oh well. No harm done in trying.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!