TLC for Aluminum Wheels

• The 98 TJ I just purchased came with some fairly attractive (but probably cheap) aluminum wheels. I wish I knew what brand/model they are, but I don't. They are without any identifying markings. For what it's worth, they have five major slots in them and decorative rivets around the perimeter. Here's the problem...they have little scratches and what appears to be overspray (paint or undercoating?). The blemishes don't really look so much like scratches, but more like there is a coating or film on the surface that's starting to peel up.

Does that sound strange? Do wheels have a clear coating on them? And here's the big question...can I take these wheels someplace to have them refurbished? Polished? Buffed? I don't think this is the kind of thing that can be done by hand, but they need some sort of TLC. Thanks!

p.s. Went to the Jeeps for Joy event yesterday -- my first DEJA event as a new Jeep owner. I was impressed with everyone's friendliness and willingness to share Jeep knowledge. You guys are great!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I have the M/T CLASSIC II wheels. When I emailed M/T about the discoloration and dull look I have they referenced the information below. I have not yet tried the steel wool and WD40 yet. I'm probably going to wait for it to warm up a bit before I try that..

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=t6

• And here's the big question...can I take these wheels someplace to have them refurbished? Polished? Buffed? I don't think this is the kind of thing that can be done by hand, but they need some sort of TLC. Thanks!

I would try by hand first. By hand I mean a drill and a Mother's buff ball. It takes a lot of time but it does work well.

There are places that take wheels for refurbishing but I only know of the places around me. (Pennsylvania) I send our aluminum truck wheels to a place that has the machine. We don't even remove the tire and they come up nice. Any truck tire place should know where one is or will have an agreement with one.

Good luck and post up some before and after picks. :tup:

• Well, I did just try using a new Brillo pad (full of soap) and lots of water on my wheels. It definitely made a big improvement, mostly because it got the overspray off. I kept a careful eye on the surface as I worked to make sure I wasn't scratching it....seemed to work fine. However, the one other problem still exists -- the wheels have spots that look like a coating has peeled up a little, even though the wheels apparently don't have a coating. I don't know what to make of it. Perhaps I'll show them to someone at one of the DEJA meetings and I can get some good feedback.

It would also help if I could get some nice looking center caps. I guess it would help if I could identify the make and model of the wheel!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I would try by hand first. By hand I mean a drill and a Mother's buff ball. It takes a lot of time but it does work well.
    There are places that take wheels for refurbishing but I only know of the places around me. (Pennsylvania) I send our aluminum truck wheels to a place that has the machine. We don't even remove the tire and they come up nice. Any truck tire place should know where one is or will have an agreement with one.
    Good luck and post up some before and after picks. :tup:

X2 on the Mothers buff ball and metal polish. It may take a while depending on the buildup but the results are great.

• to answer your question yes they do have a sort of clear coat on them. after time it starts to look hazy and they start to flake off. just them being older and problebly the salt off the road taking a toll on them. not sure that its really worth the hastle and the price to get them fixed compared to just a brand new set. take a look around like quadratec.com, 4wd.com and stuff like that and im sure you will find a really decent set for cheap. unless u want to live with those looking the way they do. :wavey:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!