Citizens Band radios

• I'd like to pick up a Citizens Band radio and antenna for my 98 TJ and am wondering what's the best value for my money. I don't know the first thing about them. It'll only get occasional use since I'm not a diehard trail guy, but obviously it must actually work when I need it. You guys seem to know how to get the most bang for your bucks, so....what's the deal?!

Anyone have a used one just collecting dust on a shelf?

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• If your just using it every so often, you can get a uniden or cobra from wallyworld pretty cheep. But I would spend the money on the antenna and wire. I would go with firestick. :up:

Here is the site I bought my stuff from:
    http://www.walcottcb.com/

• Space was an issue for me because of an OX locker lever so I went with the Cobra 75:
    Click here: Cobra Model 75
    With a four foot firestick it works as good as I need it too.

(Thanks for the heads up on the Wolcott website 2006TJX :up:)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that depending on what model you get, you might want to look into an external speaker. It can be hard to hear at highway speeds.

• I have the Uniden PC68XL in the jeep and would get another if had to. Its probably 4 years old with no issue. In my truck i have a Galaxy, but its a little big for a Jeep.

• In my truck i have a Galaxy, but its a little big for a Jeep.

I got a Cobra 29WX, that thing is too big for the Jeep. am going with the 75 here soon.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• for just occasional use, a good handheld is perfect. the little stubby antenna gets enough range for your group on the trails and a good mile or two on the highway. add on a magnetic mount antenna and you can boost the highway range for road trips while still able to remove everything and put it in your garage when you don't need it. that's my recommendation. no wiring to mess with, just use batteries or the cigarette power adapter.

that said, I use a Uniden 520XL with a 4' Wilson antenna. a nice basic slim radio.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I have a cobra roadtrip hand held, 3' firestick, cable, bracket that I was going to put in my jeep til I sold it. $50 and it is all yours.

my buddy got this from walmart and it sucked big time. maybe he got a bad unit but it barely went to the end of my driveway.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• EDIT: I forgot to mention that depending on what model you get, you might want to look into an external speaker. It can be hard to hear at highway speeds.

External speakers ROCK. Especially if you like to play your radio while you're on the trails.

• I agree... perfect on the trails, sounds great, mount under the driver's seat and let cord mount to console near shifter. I never had an issue with the speaker, even on the highway, but my Jeeps tend to be quiet anyway...

• I have the Cobra 75 too. Love it. :up: The only thing is, it's on the quite side. So a external speaker is a plus. I am asking santa for a speaker for Christmas. ;D

• I got mine from radio shack and I've had nothing but problems. I think it just depends on which one you grab off of the shelf. I'm looking for a new mic if anyone has an extra :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!