Getting New Tires

• I don't wheel my jeep that often probably once a month at rausch creek and i drive it everyday i had bfg mud terrains on it and they only lasted about a year and a half. So i think I'm going to get all terrains this time but are they going to suck at rausch creek in the mud and stuff? ???

2003 TJ 4.0L, hardtop, Artec Trussed 8.8, 5.5 long arm currie joints, sye Tatton shaft, 35" km2s, barnes 4x4 belly up skid, 11,000lb qtec winch AtoZ fab bumper and lots of rustys stuff

• i know a lot of people that run a/ts on the trail....BFG a/ts are highly regarded as are some others....i believe whatevah had some bridgestone dueler a/t revos ....maybe he will chime in about them

• yeah if i get a/t's they are probably going to be BFG's

2003 TJ 4.0L, hardtop, Artec Trussed 8.8, 5.5 long arm currie joints, sye Tatton shaft, 35" km2s, barnes 4x4 belly up skid, 11,000lb qtec winch AtoZ fab bumper and lots of rustys stuff

• get some mtr's mine are great off road and on.... over all they wear great and drive awsome!!!! Goodyear MTR's go get em

Thats what i run....theyre a little bit slippy in the rain...but any mud tread will be. As long as you keep them rotated they should wear well too.

• BFG ATs are probably your best bet. They are well proven and have become the "vehicle standard" of sorts for 4x4s.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Why not look into a sipped M/T
    Mickey Thompson , Dick Cepeck , Cooper all make 'em
    Just a thought

I don't wheel my jeep that often probably once a month at rausch creek and i drive it everyday i had bfg mud terrains on it and they only lasted about a year and a half. So i think I'm going to get all terrains this time but are they going to suck at rausch creek in the mud and stuff? ???

• for an A/T, BFGs are the best all-around. There are some better wet road tires, but for all around performance, BFG ATs. The Mickey Thompson ATZs are quite nice, but I don't think they last as long as the BFGs. My old Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos were awesome everywhere (except mud of course) but they were a little too sticky for good road mileage, probably expect around 40K out of them.

Any AT won't do very well in mud, so you'll be sliding in ruts, instead of climbing out of them. I don't really like the MTRs, they are a tradeoff tire, more of a very aggressive AT than a true MT.

that's my 2 cents. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• And don't forget to consider Maxxis Bighorns as well when looking at siped MT's...

MTR's are a true MT and share the same tread pattern as Bridgestone, BFG, and Maxxis to name a couple. If you want them (MTR's or similar) to be ok, not great but ok in rain/ice, then you have to sipe them or they must be siped appropriately from the factory. I am approaching 24k on my 33" MTR's which I rotate when needed and am religious about keeping the air pressure appropriate. They have worn almost perfectly. Any MT is going to require the same care to get the miles out of it. But you will never get the mileage that it sounds like you are looking for out of an MT. I am quite pleased to have gotten 1.5 years out of mine. Nothing wrong with having BFG AT's as your daily tire and having a set of MT tires on rims for trips to RC or wherever. As I am sure you know, decent wheels and tires can be gotten cheap if you are patient. There is no "perfect" tire out there unfortunately. :)

• And don't forget to consider Maxxis Bighorns as well when looking at siped MT's...

There is no "perfect" tire out there unfortunately. :)

I havent been impressed with the BigHorns I've seen .
    Glad I didnt get 'em

He's right tho , no perfect tire .

What kinda budget are you working with ?
    You'll prob be happy with the BFG's on a DD
    I am very pleased with my Cooper's but given the price I prob wont buy them again

I don't wheel my jeep that often probably once a month at rausch creek and i drive it everyday i had bfg mud terrains on it and they only lasted about a year and a half. So i think I'm going to get all terrains this time but are they going to suck at rausch creek in the mud and stuff? ???

• Interesting feedback on the Bighorns. I am studding mine at Xmas and will run them as a winter tire. I figured the MT + studs solves my ice/snow problems when driving to and around NY. Typically a good ice tire packs up too much in snow. Except those Geolanders... ;D

• I love my Bighorns, they perform better than the Trxus MTs and BFG MTs from what I've seen. They have bigger voids than the BFGs and MTRs which is the main reason, the tread pattern may help, but I don't know. The siping on mine was only an 1/8" deep, maybe a little more, so factory siping should not be a factor in getting these tires. Gripped very well on snow/ice when the siping was still there, dunno how they'll do this year. I'm looking at the Bighorn 33x10.5x16 tires for when it's time to go taller.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I recently went from 31-inch BFG A/Ts to 33-inch BFG M/Ts. On road the A/T's were quieter and smoother and had much better traction in the rain. Off road in the snow and mud the M/T's did much better, but they are also two inches taller so I don't know how much can be attributed to the size alone.

After one rainy week and having locked up the brakes too many times with the M/T's I got out my utility knife and siped them myself. The difference has been night and day, they have not been locked up since. They also seem a little less harsh going down the road and with less noise too.

• I am running 33x12.5 Goodyear MTRs on my 01. They currently have approx 28,000 miles
    on them and they are at what I would consider to be around 60% tread or so.
    I have also had the BFG AT which is also an awesome tire but no comparison to the MTR
    off-road. Rotate and align the MTRs (or BFG MT whichever you decide) every 3k - 3500k
    (as I have done) and there is no reason why you should not be able to get 40k out of them.

My 2 cents

Ryan

• I'll never buy Goodyear MTRs again, they have to be rotated way too often, are too expensive for what you get, and don't clear mud nearly as well as my Firestone Destination M/Ts. Even the BFGs cleared better than the MTRs. Both the Goodyear and the BFG M/Ts are much noisier than the Destination M/Ts as well. I know we all have our preferences, but I've had all three off-road in lots of different conditions on many different Jeeps, and won't go back to either of those other two. The Cooper M/Ts that surfrider has interest me because they're siped though, and maybe the NEW BFG M/T. For my driving and wheeling it is the Firestone Destination M/T.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&keyword=Firestone%20Destination%20M/T&s_kwcid=firestone%20destination%20m/t|686320393&code=yes&tireModel=Destination+M%2FT&GCID=S13674x009-tr_indiv&#Survey

• I personally will never buy the Goodyear MTR's again. Have them on my 98 TJ , and although they are good off road, like was already said, too much road noise . I have on my rubi the ProComp Xtreme MTs and so far really like them.They are pricey tho. I also like the Mickey Thompson MTZ's that Subvet has on his jeep.

• I Have Pro Comp A/ts right and i hate them off road compared to my old Dunlop Mud Rovers which were alittle noisier on the road, but they were amazing off road... i dont know if i'll ever go with A/Ts again

• My only issue with A/Ts was in snow/ice off-road. The tread always seemed to fill too quickly, losing traction when I most needed it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!