First Aid kits

• Kind of a dumb question. What would be the recomended first aid kit that you should carry when going on the trails? I'm trying to get prepared to go soon. (I hope) :driving: I guess same about a fire extinguisher I am really getting the urge to take it out. never really have takin it "off road".

• Purchase or build a first aid kit with contents that you are able and willing to use. The addition of gloves are a priority. Unfortunately, I've seen massive first aid kits containing SAM splints and airway adjuncts that the owners have no concept of how to use.

Mike

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• Walmart sells a decent first aid kit that any average person can use for $10.00 and they have a fire extinguisher too for like $10.00.

• Duct tape. If you can't duct it, f@#k it.

Things that are going to keep you and others safe from bodily fluids like gloves and safety glasses. If you're not a trained EMT, then the main thing you'll be doing in an emergency is controlling bleeding. So you just want to keep the fluid from their holes out of your holes.

Large bandages and wraps. I mean large. Most first aid kits couldn't control more than a pin prick's worth of bleeding. Think about the pics of that JK where the tree came through the floor and imagine how ugly that could have been. That should give you an idea of bandage size.

Super glue can fix a lot of smaller cuts.

And you may want to find out if anyone riding with you has any serious allergies (like bee stings) and ask them to bring along whatever meds they might need.

Cold compress.

Aspirin and Tylenol.

Some kind of waterproof field quick reference guide. Like something with tabs on the pages. Think something you can read in a high-stress situation. Also a list (with directions) of area hospitals, clinics, and any emergency numbers if the area doesn't have 911. Also think about how you're going to get help if you're in an area with no cell coverage.

Flares or a signaling device in case you're so deep in the terrain that an emergency vehicle just can't find you or a helicopter is needed. Sounds like a long shot, but think about some of the deeper areas of RC and imagine trying to get help for someone that is immobile.

• Costco sells a pretty good one. Ultimately , you can take a small tackle box and make your own.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• And you may want to find out if anyone riding with you has any serious allergies (like bee stings) and ask them to bring along whatever meds they might need.

Good call! Our whole group got nailed on Yellow Jacket Trail (yeah I see subtle hint RC gave us with the name). Anyway we did had someone allergic to bees and without their shot, it could have been ugly.

• Neosporin and band-aids of various sizes is all you need. :innocent:

If you want to get fancy, put in:

Bee sting stuff
    gauze
    vinyl gloves (some people have laytex allergies)

Keep it basic.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• I think you can see there are really 2 levels of "kit". The best way to put together the normal kit is to simply find a small bag and go out and buy the things you use at home like bandaids, tape, antibiotic creme, benadryl, cortaid (for poison ivy and such), non-latex gloves, eye protection, etc... This kit is really for your and others comfort during the trip. Think of it as the difference between being uncomfortable and/or miserable and going home early versus enjoying your ride and staying the duration. By having local emergency info handy, that really makes things easier in case something bad does happen. Don't discount having a couple flares and/or a gps device to relay coordinates in case an emergency evacuation is required.

And no matter what, anyone with known allergies needs their epi-pen (or other brand name) with them and accessible at all times. Have them teach everyone else where it is and how to administer it in case they have already lost consciousness. That is definitely a life or death issue so make sure it is available.

Then there is kit #2, really a wilderness trauma kit. This kit is for taking care of the more serious stuff and if you don't know how, then it isn't of much use. Definitely have cpr mask, splinting materials, those battlefield blood clotting powders/bandages, airway adjuncts, and other EMT level type stuff. Stopping bleeding and immobilizing serious injuries are the main goal of this kit. Like was said, you can buy these pre-configured, but if you aren't specifically trained, it isn't of much use. Don't waste your money...

Rule of thumb is to have kit #1 with you and have at least one person who is EMT-B level or above with their medical bag in the group.

• dont forget the first item i add to any first aid kit....generic maxi pads. not to offend anyone, but they are perfect for what they are designed for, absorbing blood. for treatment of deep cuts and such they have worked MANY times for good compression, and absorbing the blood. people laugh at me because i carry a first aid kit, maxi pads, and Toilet paper in a waterproof ammo box. i also have my 1 way valve and 3 pairs of gloves vacuum sealed with a food saver in there too

• I have just over 20 years in EMS (the last 15 as a Paramedic), and am an AHA Instructor. As was said before, it'll likely be least expensive to put into a kit what you KNOW how to use.
    I keep a pretty basic kit currently(just downsized). Just the core things I see that are needed. These things are pretty inexpensive. Feel free to delete or add as you see fit for your own.

Here's whats inside....

Over the counter Meds (small tubes or individual packets):
    Oral Antihistamines/Allergic reaction (Benedryl)
    Topical cream (Hydrocortisone)
    Antibiotic ointment (Neosporin)
    Aspirin (Cardiac)
    Anti-diarrhea/heartburn (Tums, Pepto-Bismol, Immodium) Tabs
    Pain and inflammation (Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen)

Small notepad, small pencil
    Small mag light (with batteries)
    One – sm and lg ziploc baggies
    CPR pocket mask (I have a BVM but haven't carried it in a few years...its overkill)
    Non latex gloves
    Emergency foil blanket
    Moleskin square (blisters)
    Tweezers
    Safety pins
    Trauma/bandage shears/kelly clamps
    Maxi (Sanitary) Pads
    Roll gauze
    2x2, 4x4 gauze squares/pads
    Bandage adhesive tape
    Bandaids – assorted, 4 each (dots, rect, butterfly)
    Hand Sanitizing Gel (waterless)
    Elastic roll bandage
    Alcohol Preps
    Hydrogen peroxide (in travel shampoo bottle)
    Stethoscope – BP Cuff

I've had an assortment of carrying cases...from small fishing tackle boxes to small tool bags. I'm partial to the small tool bag. Everything is organized, has pockets, and packaged in sections. Most items are kept in 'snack' or 'sandwich' baggies. The list seems long but I don't carry very many of each of these. And each item is fairly compact.

I could go on forever with this stuff. What I've carried, to what I've downsized to ---and why. I have to throw in here that the kit could be nearly useless without some idea of what these items are for, when to use them, and how to use them.
    If members would be interested in a First Aid and/or CPR class please let me know and we can exchange phone numbers to discuss details. The one day class is NOT expensive to put on.
    Having a workable first aid kit is certainly a good beginning!
    Even if just the trail leaders had some training, its better than nobody. That one EMT could be on the opposite side of the Offroading Park when help is needed....a simple 4 hour class could make all the difference!
    Let me know if you want any further assistance/information.
    Johnny

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!