What have you done to your Jeep today?

• she drives mine every now and then. She has her stocker she loves and won't let me sell. between my brother, myself and her they all get some road time.

• last week i discovered that i had somehow managed to twist up the splines on one of my chromoly axle shafts, so today i installed its warrantied replacement. also replaced both front axle u-joints. changed front diff fluid. discovered a chipped pinion-gear tooth. goddamnit.

installed new TREs on both the tie-rod and drag-link.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Resealed the steering box I got from clendaniel(Thanks Ian). Then installed that and the currie steering from knoxrents. The jeep feels much better now no more numb feeling steering and 90% of the wandering has stopped. I'm going to add a little caster after work and hopefully that fixes the rest of the wandering.

• Picked my Stak up from the freight company Fri evening...split the case to inspect, looks like an entirely new center shaft and gears along with new bearings on the front output. Glad they fixed it under warranty, still a little peeved about having to cover freight both directions. :upset:

Reinstalled tcase on Sun, swapped steering back around to the front so that I can add the WJ pitman as soon as it and my new reamer arrive, then played arts-and-crafts and made posterboard templates for the remaining plates to finish boxing in the new truss on my front 60. As soon as the steering stuff gets here I can finalize the frame-side trackbar mount, build the trackbar, and then pull the front axle to do all the final welding and do the overdue maintenance on it (been needing to replace both inner seals, replace 1 stud on both sides, replace lower KP bearings, reshim steering arms, and repack wheel bearings). Still not 100% happy with the final location of the steering ram but it seems to be the best compromise. Running the t/r behind the axle was doable but would require cu$tom highsteer arms and I'd need to severely limit uptravel to prevent it from getting into the oilpan on compression. Oh well, K.I.S.S. Getting closer...

--Ian

• Picked my Stak up from the freight company Fri evening...split the case to inspect, looks like an entirely new center shaft and gears along with new bearings on the front output. Glad they fixed it under warranty, still a little peeved about having to cover freight both directions. :upset:

Reinstalled tcase on Sun, swapped steering back around to the front so that I can add the WJ pitman as soon as it and my new reamer arrive, then played arts-and-crafts and made posterboard templates for the remaining plates to finish boxing in the new truss on my front 60. As soon as the steering stuff gets here I can finalize the frame-side trackbar mount, build the trackbar, and then pull the front axle to do all the final welding and do the overdue maintenance on it (been needing to replace both inner seals, replace 1 stud on both sides, replace lower KP bearings, reshim steering arms, and repack wheel bearings). Still not 100% happy with the final location of the steering ram but it seems to be the best compromise. Running the t/r behind the axle was doable but would require cu$tom highsteer arms and I'd need to severely limit uptravel to prevent it from getting into the oilpan on compression. Oh well, K.I.S.S. Getting closer...

--Ian

shoulda said something, i got a 1-ton TRE reamer....

• shoulda said something, i got a 1-ton TRE reamer....

Needed an excuse to finally buy one...I've always borrowed one and it causes a delay.

How's the April 10th deadline going Ian? :welder:

As long as the steering works out as I hope it should be a non-issue. Everything else is either straightforward and already planned out or is just 'maintenance' I'd like to try everything out beforehand but may not get the opportunity...ain't skeered though.

--Ian

• Last week I picked up a complete windsheild for the YJ $100!!! Today it was time to make it green. Stripped the frame sanded it,masked off the windsheild and painted it green.Now its in the makeshift paintbooth(my shed with a propane heater cranked up to high)to bake. Tomorow I'll fold back the congo cage/rack and swap the windsheild assembly.Then time to get the beast inspected.

• Last week I picked up a complete windsheild for the YJ $100!!! Today it was time to make it green. Stripped the frame sanded it,masked off the windsheild and painted it green.Now its in the makeshift paintbooth(my shed with a propane heater cranked up to high)to bake. Tomorow I'll fold back the congo cage/rack and swap the windsheild assembly.Then time to get the beast inspected.

make sure you swap the vin plate if the YJ has one on the windshield! I had all kinds of issues with the CJ when it came to inspection, the state troopers were involved. :suspicious:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!