What have you done to your Jeep today?

• Most recent pic of the dash. I want to make a filler plate for the CB since it's about 25% smaller than the stereo slot it's in. I also need to figure out what I want to do for that big gaping hole where the glove box was. I think I'm going to fab up a shelf for a small amp (if I can find the right size) to sit above the heater box. I also am going to add a dual cig lighter and a USB port or two in the dash somewheres....

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• [img width=900 height=1200]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.co…f4cd2847bce3feaea9613.jpg[/img]
    Although not tonight...I know what tomorrow has in store for me. Should I blue lock tight the step/rubi rail bolts

If they bolt thru they should have lock washers or locknuts.

Locktite would be redundant and a waste.

And if they go into nutserts you will never get them back out.

• I was working on removing the marker light from the passenger side flare and found this...

Luckily I have a spare that I'll swap on tomorrow.... but how bad is a slice like that in the sidewall? The tires pretty worn so probably not worth a repair if that's even possible.

• I was working on removing the marker light from the passenger side flare and found this...

Luckily I have a spare that I'll swap on tomorrow.... but how bad is a slice like that in the sidewall? The tires pretty worn so probably not worth a repair if that's even possible.

I can't tell how deep it is from just that pic, but regardless, it's good you have your spare. No, that is not something I would repair.

Since you call the damaged tire 'pretty worn' in addition to the sidewall slice, I would say replace it altogether.

Is your spare the same as your other three tires, or just some random tire? If your spare is the same as the other three - so that you'll have four matching tires when you swap the spare on - then you can probably find a good used tire to buy as a spare.

If your spare doesn't match the other three, then I would do whatever needs to be done to make all four match. Meaning that, if it were me, and the other three tires are also 'pretty worn', I would use this situation to force my hand to buy tires. With a little time and a little searching, you can most likely find a set of good tires from someone who is upgrading. Otherwise, buy new. I always buy 5, because I like my spare to match and I when I rotate them, I do all 5 at a time, hence getting an effective 20% more tread life from all of them. Alternatively, you could save money up-front by purchasing four new and using one of your existing tires as a spare.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• If your spare doesn't match the other three, then I would do whatever needs to be done to make all four match. Meaning that, if it were me, and the other three tires are also 'pretty worn', I would use this situation to force my hand to buy tires.

Altierior happens to have a set of tires for sale too.
    http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=41758.0

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If they bolt thru they should have lock washers or locknuts.

Locktite would be redundant and a waste.

And if they go into nutserts you will never get them back out.

Thank you, I wasn't sure and was just wondering. I haven't opened the boxes just yet so unsure what type of bolts etc they come with.

• Altierior happens to have a set of tires for sale too.
    http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=41758.0

Yes, I do. Thank you for mentioning that. I did not mention it because I didn't want my advice about new tires to sound like a sales pitch for mine.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Yes, I do. Thank you for mentioning that. I did not mention it because I didn't want my advice about new tires to sound like a sales pitch for mine.

No worries. I had seen the ad several times since you first posted it. I REALLY want a set of MTRks or MTZs for my next set of tires and am waiting to get my taxes done to see how feasible that will be. I figured that if I'm going to buy brand new tires this time around and spend that type of coin, then I want to get what I really want.

I tried to get a little better pic this morning but it doesn't really show the depth. I'd guess it @ <1/16" but I really don't want to shove something in there to prove that. Right now I'm running 3 BFG ATs and 1 Mastercraft Courser. The spare is a Cooper AT (same size)... so I'll move the rear BFG up to the front and put the Cooper opp of the MC Courser. Hopefully it won't be long before I can order some new shoes. It looks like the tires I have now are more than 1/2" worn but I'll need to get a guage to be sure. I was planning on keeping one as a spare but I guess I will have to sell them as a set to buy a spare now... or at least offset the cost some.

As far as "repair" I know that I've heard of it (vulcanizing??) and have a basic concept of it but I don't know much else than that.

• First pic is a dry rotted tire.

I hope you aren't driving any loved ones around on that.

Blow out on a Wrangler at highway speeds has no good ending.

And I could see trying the vulcanizing thing on a 37" IROK.

But those are old shit tires to start with.

Tires/brakes... Don't go cheap, they are where the rubber meets the road.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!