Water pump install question

• I bought one of those Flow Kooler water pumps for my Jeep since my stock one is leaking and on it's way out. After reading the directions for it, I decided to call my local shop to get a quote on them putting it in. They wanted $500-$700 to do it depending on how many times they had to take it off and put it back on in order to get the gaskets setup right. I think that is a bit steep. Anyone have any experience installing one of these? I was going to do it myself but the directions make it sound complicated and say that if you end up cracking it, you are SOL. I have read write ups on other installs, specifically on Stu's site which make it look relatively simple. Just not sure I want to do it. :shrug:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Its not the complicated. Remove old and install new. Just run a thin bead of rtv around the gasket to hold it in place.......Sounds like your shop is dicking you around. Id do it for $500 :suspicious:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Give it a go...it's definitely not difficult. Heck, you did your tcase and tranny so this should be a breeze. I think I would've busted up laughing if a shop told me that they wanted that much $$$ to do a waterpump.

--Ian

• They are super easy. Takes about 3 hours with removing the fan and all to get to it. Just go grab a manual from Autozone for 30 bucks and follow one of them. The write-ups in them are actually pretty decent from time to time.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Take your time and remove your Radiator. You will then have all the room to do the job right, Also you wont risk breaking it. I promise you , you will get the job done faster by taking this extra step.. Might want to do one more thing... Timing chain. Its is easy to do while your there.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Give it a go...it's definitely not difficult. Heck, you did your tcase and tranny so this should be a breeze. I think I would've busted up laughing if a shop told me that they wanted that much $$$ to do a waterpump.

--Ian

Yeah, I was like uh I'll call you back about that. Definitely not. :laughing: Ed, thanks for the advice. I already have one of those manuals lurking around here somewhere.

Anyway, I think I will give it a go. Luckily it isn't my daily driver and it can sit for long periods of time. I am actually going to go ahead and open up the front completely. Take the grille off and the radiator out. My radiator probably needs to be replaced because from wheeling the fins are all busted in and I am pretty sure it is the original from 1997. Will probably do that while I'm at it. What and where is the timing chain? Or is that the belt? :wavey:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• What and where is the timing chain? Or is that the belt? :wavey:

The Timing CHAIN (not belt) is a 2 Gear and Chain set that lives under a cover plate under the water pump. Can be picked up for about $30. Will come with new gaskets and seal.. You will need to remove your Harmonic balancer , but its easy with a $5 puller from harbor freight. If you have over 100k, you should see some improvement in idles and acceleration, Try to get a all metal set. It will add a little engine noise, but it wont wear like the Nylon gear sets. You can also get a all gear timing kit, has 4 gears in a small frame. I hear good things about them. Would replace the following.... radiator hoses, thermostat, serpentine belt, heater hoses.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Just put on in a month ago. Make sure you have more than one gasket, mine took 2 once the pump is on bolt it tight(without it being tight you will not know if it right) and spin it by hand you know with a few turns it you have a need for more gaskets as the back of pump rubs the inside of water jacket. Use gaskets to space with the RTV as a sealant. I agree with rad out. My XJ was tight with rad in. I agree about replacing parts noted above. I tied a lower stat for better cooling but had to go with a 195 to avoid drive computer nuts a FYI. Most of you time will be spent getting to the parts replace all you can while you are in there also check fan clutch.

Gregg

• Measure the amount the impeller sticks into the block, and then measure the space the wall of #1 cylinder is back from the mounting surface of the pump. You'll need more spacer (gasket) than the difference of those two measurements to prevent the impeller from hitting the cylinder wall.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I never updated you guys on what happened with the water pump. I got it inspected the day I asked about it, passed inspection, and on the way home the water pump blew. So I waited for AAA to come tow me to the shop. The install was $180, but I didn't care since I just wanted my Jeep back on the road. They beat every other company's quote because they wanted the business I guess.

And fixed ;D

Thanks for all of your help though! Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is I'll do it myself before it blows up.

• nice minivan/RTI ramp :spinrhead:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• :laughing: When we pulled up I was wondering why they parked my Jeep next to the van...

• sorry i forgot to send that disk to you...been like a chicken without a head lately...

in the mean while I actually did my water pump...took about 3 hrs, not too hard at all.

• It's all good Pat. I was going to have them tow the Jeep to my house, but then I thought about it and figured I probably wouldn't fix it right away. So I had them just tow it to the shop instead. It didn't get to the shop until late at night so I told them not to touch it and I'd be back in the morning to discuss it with them. Decided a price and gave them the pump. :)

• I have done this , water pump went ,I put water in it and left the rad cap loose and drove home no tow charge ,I had an ice chest of water from the ice , if you have no pressure the water pump wil not leak so fast and made it home .went about 30 miles , just watch the temp gauge , when you put that water pump on just make sure it is flush with the block , what happens is when you put the gasket on and tighten 1 bolt to tight it will break an ear off the pump, just stagger whan tightening them. that is all . do not tighten to tight remember only holds about 15 LBs of pressure in radiator ,which is not taht much , make them pretty snug and it will last forever , this is for future referance .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!