Soft top on CJ-7

• Why didn't anyone ever mention how hard it is to get a soft top onto a Jeep? Man I struggled with it for like a half hour before getting so frustrated I had to drown my sorrow with two beers :bang:. Guh, is there some trick?

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• Usually themistake folks make is setting the bows , then trying to attach the soft top to the rails or snaps. Trick is to attach the soft top to the tub with the bows dow or slack. Then once its all connected, then raise the bows.
    Viola!

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• The trick is doing it when it's above 70º. I've always found that to be the minimum temp for vinyl. Any lower than that and it shrinks and gets super stiff.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Well it was probably about 40-50 degrees out last night when I tried it, but I will also try lowering the bows this time :doh:. Thanks.

• That is nice if you have 5 cars to drive Mr McCain but in reality the average person only has 1 to drive and yes he has to drive it when it is cold out or raining ,so he has to put his top on to do this ,

• That is nice if you have 5 cars to drive Mr McCain but in reality the average person only has 1 to drive and yes he has to drive it when it is cold out or raining ,so he has to put his top on to do this ,

heh. says the guy who says he currently has 6 Jeeps.

"Jeeps owned: 2003 YJ X 4.0, 5 speed ,95YJ 6 cyl stk ,2004 nissan titan ,1981 HD super glide ,2003 HD electric glaide a warrior and a banshee"

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

And how many people have a 1981 CJ-7 not only as their daily driver, but also their only vehicle? Kinda had to stretch to get that McCain dig in eh? You list 2 unpractical DD vehicles, a Harley, and 2 ATV's, and yet you are busting on having a CJ-7 to drive just on sunny days? Too funny...

Put it in the garage and let it warm up as was said before. Same with putting the bows up last. Should be much easier then. I would have trouble getting my 06's Bestop on at 50F and that is about as easy as it gets...

• [

And how many people have a 1981 CJ-7 not only as their daily driver, but also their only vehicle?

I have a 81 CJ-8 as my primary , have a Honda VT1100 for a back up.. Wife has a Suburban.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Bah, this big Grand Cherokee is my DD. The CJ-7 is a toy, but I want the soft top on it encase this spring I want to use it as the DD. I'd hate to get caught in a spring time down pour while out.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!